The Lies You're Told - A Feminist Retort

A religious and modern response to women who don't agree.

52
CreepyGals

In an article called "I Am Not A Feminist, And That Is Okay" there is one line that is factually inaccurate.

It reminded me that most women aren't educated on feminism. The line is this:

"But this is no longer the first wave feminism. We are currently in what is called the fourth wave of feminism."

We are actually in the third wave of feminism. It's "lilliputian" mistakes like this that readers might overlook, especially if they aren't well read on the subject. You can have your opinions all you'd like - after all, it is a free country and we are in the 21st century. But in order to write an opposing article, it's mandatory to have the right facts.

Am I attempting to change the author's mind? Absolutely not. I know it's impossible.

I'd like to point out that, as a feminist, I have never shamed a woman for choosing to stay at home, to cook dinner for her husband, or to raise children as her full-time career. Though I personally would never choose this, I know many women who do. They are just as powerful, just as intelligent, and just as worthy as women who run businesses.

"I believe that God loves me equally to how he loves the man that I will marry. But I do believe that the man is the head of the household."

As a Christian feminist (we do exist), I was told multiple times that women shouldn't be leaders of the church, and while I agree that the Bible does say that men are leaders of the household, the statement the author is trying to make seems out of context. I could go on about the historical significance of this passage and what it implies, but it wouldn't make any difference to the author. I've found that arguing with conservative, Christian women is nonviable but I respect their opinions because that's what feminism is.

The author goes on to say:

"That is a lot of pressure. And I don’t understand why feminists want to take it on. Why would you want that? God did make women as fragile beings. But He also made us as strong beings. As capable beings."

This statement seems a bit redundant but it's worth mentioning.

Women have been fighting for equal rights throughout the course of history. The Bible tells us the stories of women who took on pressure in order to fight for what is right and God called us to raise nations just as he called men to. We are strong beings and we are capable; fragility has nothing to do with it.

But it's not just this article that overlooks the true meaning of feminism. It's also a piece called "I Am A Female And I Am So Over Feminists" whose author seems to believe that feminists don't think men are intelligent or worthy of legitimate discussion.

"My inspiration actually came from a man (God forbid, a man has ideas these days)."

My father is one of the most philosophical men I've ever known. We discuss politics, the Bible, and feminism all the time. His ideas are greatly appreciated to me. I have never considered a man to be beneath me in this respect. In fact, I have personally never known any feminist to believe this. This sentence is very exclusive and, to be quite frank, rather irresponsible.

What's gorgeous about third wave feminism is that we strive to make both genders equal. In first wave feminism, it wasn't necessary to make this a relevant goal; men didn't need to be equal to women because they were the suzerains of the patriarchal feudal system. Because we now have more rights than those in Susan B. Anthony's generation, we're able to focus on the unfairness that some men face (body positivism for men or the injustice towards men of color...).

"There is no “dominant” gender. There’s just men and women. Women and men."

The point of feminism is (and I'm sure the author has been hearing this ever since her article was posted) for both genders to be equal to one another. The obscure mindset that many have towards feminism is based on biased generalizations. There is a difference between extreme feminism (which is equal to "menimists" - which shouldn't exist. The word is underlined in red at this very moment.) and proper feminism.

If you attempt to argue that feminism is tearing down the very foundation that you believe to be truth, then feminism is succeeding. Conservative Christian women seem to hold steadfast that men are ordained by God to be overlords of women; à la "divine right theory".

If it makes you uncomfortable, it's working.