The Key Component To Adulthood

The Key Component To Adulthood

And the most overlooked

16
The Key Component To Adulthood
ShockBlast

For all of us transitioning into adulthood, it's hard and sucks terribly. I know. Who knew buying your own groceries, living on your own, or having a million and one things to do in one day could be so nerve wracking? The thought alone is enough to make us 20 something year olds cry. You're warned about your antics because it wont pass when you're an adult, or better yet, things wont be easier with certain habits we have once we're "of age". Regardless of who told us, they were right - and we couldn't wait to grow up.

Here's what I'm learning folks, life in general isn't easy. Now of course I've been told this plenty of times growing up but I truly got the experience once I hit 18-20 years old. That feeling of being an adult hit me like a train, and in most cases, not in a good way. There were times (and even now) that I don't know what on earth I wanted to do with the rest of my life, and being questioned on that by various people didn't make the thought process any easier. Most love to have a say in what it is you decide to do with your life, and whether you pick up on it or not, it can affect you. If you let it. Whatever advice comes out their mouth, it is ultimately up to you what you decide because at the end of the day, the only voice that speaks louder above everyone is yours. It's never bad to hear out someone's advice if it helps you in any way, but be mindful and cautious of those who only seek to manipulate you and deter you from what it is you truly desire. Trust me those people don't want you to be happy - and we unfortunately have way too many miserable souls! Pursue whatever makes YOU happy. Point blank. We don't live forever.

Another tip I guess you can say that I'm still roughly learning on my own is, life doesn't wait for you. This can be taken in many ways, but what I mean is nobody stays within their comfort zone forever unless you seriously don't do anything. Let's say you really want to learn how to play guitar, now the steps to gain the skills needed won't be easy. You'll get frustrated, scream, get a headache, possibly throw the guitar across the room (this I don't recommend) but that inner voice tells you "keep trying" because you DESPERATELY want to learn. Do you see the connection? Comfort leaves once you realize you're not so good at something you want to master, and the drive makes you do things out of the ordinary. Now I don't know if my explanation made things clearer, so lets use a more common subject. College. You're in a major you really love right? But let's say that major requires you to take a class you're not too strong in, you'll do whatever it takes to pass for the simple fact that you want the job you've always dreamed of. You might find yourself studying more for that subject or practically living in the tutoring center, and even asking the professor for extra help. These experiences from what older people tell me count towards personal growth, and we have to be reminded that nobody is perfect. So go ahead, keep trying until you get what you want that makes you happy. You'll never understand success until you experience failure.

There is absolutely no room for things that make us miserable. I'll throw out my current situation for this topic. During the start of my freshman year in college, I was set on becoming a nurse to be a midwife; long story short around my second semester I didn't do well at all on the TEAS exam for me to officially become a nursing student. Third semester rolls in and I figured out that biology could be a longer route to nursing for me, and in my mind I believed general bio was for me plus I wanted more options in case I had a change of heart about nursing. I hate general biology. It's kicking my butt and I realized how bad I am in chemistry, biology, and certain math courses. I was so miserable a few weeks ago to the point that I cried every single day. I stick out in all my required bio classes and I don't have an interest in any of it at all, essentially making a HUGE mistake. To be really honest with you guys, the main reason why I entered the medical field was to be financially stable and to make my mother proud of my "title", I was happy with the thought of nursing or becoming a vet. Just the thought. I never considered anything much deeper than that and it backfired.

Don't worry though, after my academic advisor and I sat down and discussed other options, it is safe to say I believe I found my passion. After the proposal, I had to sit with myself and think it through if this subject is what I see myself doing for the rest of my life and if I truly have a strong interest in it enough to pursue a career similar to the major. I've always loved reading and writing and as a little girl I was writing at an early age, and honestly I see myself pursuing English with all my heart. Now, here's the dilemma; I have one more shot at the TEAS exam. If I passed and it was tied down to Nursing or English, I would choose English. Nursing in general is seriously tough, and in the required classes you're walking on a super thin line grade wise. I got a taste of certain classes similar to those needed in the Nursing program and honestly, it's unbearable for me. My mother and half my family really wanted me to be a nurse so there was also family pressure. I don't expect English to be easy, no college major is, but I do know I have a strong love for it to tough it out. I'd rather be happy with a passion than miserable with a fancy title. If you're doing something because of money or pressure in any way shape or form, do yourself a favor and stop it NOW. Don't drill a bad motive into your mind, it'll break your soul in the long run.

I know I'm ranting on a bit but I just have to get this conclusion off my chest, notice how every point made thus far majorly revolves around happiness right?. We soon enough will transition into adulthood and fly out our nests, spreading our wings and discovering life in our own ways. Each and every one of us have our own path, and whatever we decide to do we'll leave footprints behind long after we're gone. Yeah adulthood doesn't come with instructions but neither does life and I think it's just smart to do what elates you, there's no point in constantly loathing. Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire, so you can live life with no regrets.