The Internet: A New Platform of Bullying

This new era must be realized and stopped.

296

This past week, I have learned some news that makes me sick, and it makes me angry. My little sister, a mere 6th grader, is being bullied through the use of snapchat and online accounts. Phones and the internet have been both a great thing and an evil.

Phones allow us to connect with friends and family that live far away. Phones allow us to stay connected to news and what is happening all around the world through the use of the internet. Phones allow us entertainment and can help us avoid awkward situations. In fact, I often call my mom on my way to class, who is 4 hours away, to avoid looking like a complete loner. However, the use of cellphones and the internet also comes with major stipulations.

My little sister is being bullied via the use of snapchat, an online app that allows an individual to send pictures and messages that disappear within ten seconds. The bullies say "don't sit next to her" and "she is weird," but nothing can be traced because the information disappears.

The use of phones and the internet allow users to hide behind a screen, unknown. Users now have the ability to be anonymous and say whatever they want. This gives the user the ability to spew hateful and unnecessary comments without any major repercussions. Having the ability to be anonymous gives the bully the power to say what they want without getting caught. Users can use false identities and obscure accounts to bully at a new level, and this is not okay.

When I was younger, I did not get my own cellphone until I was in 8th grade, and this was a track phone to be used only for contacting my parents after sporting events. I truly believe this should be implemented throughout the world, because kid's do not understand the true concept of the internet or that saying nasty things online does hurt in real life.

Cellphones are great, but they must be used with caution. It is not acceptable to say mean things, comment unnecessary information, or use the internet for any bullying. Now, I'm not saying that the effects of bullying in person should be minimized; I am merely saying that the use of electronics and the internet allow a new platform in which to bully.

Bullying of any kind is unacceptable and needs to be stopped. If you are being bullied, find help; you do not have to handle this on your own. Stay strong, love each other, and stop bullying for good.