The Importance Of Keeping In Touch With Old Friends

Don't just lose a friend because you don't talk all of the time.

1654
Tumblr

It happens to the best of us. We don't see our friends everyday and sometimes text messages go unanswered, and somewhere in the mix we find that we haven't talked to our friends in a while. But what about all the good times that you think back to when you think about them? Those memories are still there and then you feel the need to reach out to them. And that's the most important aspect of a friendship, staying in touch.

Although you may be relatively close in distance, sometimes it's just hard to stay in touch as much as you would like to. Your friends make you laugh and you have times where you would talk everyday. But somehow in the mix of everyone's busy life you lost what you had. And that doesn't mean that you're any less close to them as you were before. It just means that you got busy and maybe they did as well. However, at the end of the day you know that you can reach out to them at any point and they would be there.

You may not speak everyday, but you would go the same distances now for them, as you would have before. It's so important to stay in touch with these friends because these are the ones that you know truly cared. Whenever something happens, they are one of the first ones to reach out to you even if it's been a few months since your last conversation. These are the friends that will be there for you and care from a distance because they understand. They know how life can get in the way sometimes and that people get busy or disconnected. But it's still amazing to know that you can run into these friends at any point and pick up exactly where you left off.

You don't just lose someone because they're out of sight and out of mind. Sometimes there needs to be some effort put into a relationship. Even if it's not consistent effort, there still needs to be a middle ground between the two of you. People don't just lose friends because they leave, if you want to make a relationship work with someone, then you both need to put in effort. You lose a friendship when people stop trying, so don't let that happen to you.

Don't give up on a friendship because the effort it takes to reach out to them is greater than what you're used to. Don't give up because you're too tired. Don't give up because sometimes forget that you wanted to talk to them until it's late at night. Make reminders and stay in touch because it's not worth losing a friendship because of the effort it takes. Make it a priority to talk to these friends at least once a week or once every two weeks.

Don't just give up on your friends and check their Snapchat story or Facebook posts and think about how you miss them. Give them a call or send them a text message, because you don't want to miss all of this when it's too late. You have an opportunity to reach out to them now, as well as a reminder to take the initiative, so don't miss out.