The Importance Of A Backbone

The Importance Of A Backbone

Not your vertebrae, but your support system.

2966
The Importance Of A Backbone

The function of our backbone is to keep our body upright, cushion the blows our body may take from above, below, left and right. It holds our heads straight and is composed of many nerve cells that respond to certain stimuli. The biggest supporters in my life, my parents, siblings, closest extended family members, best friends and significant other do nearly the same for me every day.

The people who support my endeavors hold me up when I’m feeling down, and they pick me up and make me soar when I’ve hit rock bottom. These people stand up for me when I can’t do it for myself, and they defend me from things others say or do to me and things I say or do to myself. They protect me from any emotional or physical obstacle that may hit me out of nowhere, and if they can’t prevent it –– I bet you a million dollars they’ll be there to help me through it all. The people who love me the most make sure I’m making the best decisions for my right now and for my future, they make sure I keep a level head while so many things try to distract me. When I don’t need them, they are still there to respond when I have a sudden break through, have to beg for more support than I’d usually ask for and when I simply want to spend time with them and appreciate the things they do for me.

If I didn’t have so many wonderful souls to create a second, metaphorical, backbone that I can lean against –– I have no idea where I’d be in this life. Imagine going through this life alone… I know for a fact that nobody is ever truly alone, but imagine a life where all of your struggles you had to face by yourself. Every time you tried something and fell face first in every attempt -you had nobody to pick you back up. When the enemy constantly tries to tempt you and cause you more suffering than you deserve -there is no one to pull you back towards the light of God. The days where you have so much to do and become so overwhelmed you feel like you’re drowning –– there is not a single human around to help you stay afloat. A life lived without love and a life lived without support is not a life I’d like to be living.

To the people who support every single decision I make, whether it be completely left field and outrageous or the best decision I could possibly make, thank you. I have absolutely no idea where I’d be without you, surely not the place I’m at right now. You have given me the extra strength I need to thrive in this life, not just survive. You have shown me what it’s like to be cherished as a human. Your faith in me, whether of miniscule measure or monumental, has pushed me to keep faith in myself. I only hope that my attempts to be a support for you, and for anyone who comes to me seeking a hand, are enough to show you that I love you. My love for you will not be shaken.