The Holier Than Thou" Attitude

The Holier Than Thou" Attitude

Stop being snobby christians

282
The Holier Than Thou" Attitude

As believers in Jesus Christ we have a certain lifestyle that we live by. This is the lifestyle that we need to be Christ-like. This is absolutely true. When we give our lives to Christ, we are a "new creation". However, I think that sometimes as Christians we take this and make it a burden to ourselves and turn it in to something that God never wanted it to be. The "Holier Than Thou" attitude. This comes in a few forms. The first is that it causes us to be afraid to lay our burdens and mistakes down at church, because we are afraid of what our fellow believers will think of us. Let me just say this. If we as believers have made people feel uncomfortable with laying their burdens and sins down at church, we should be ashamed of ourselves. God did not call "perfect" christians. No one is good but Christ (Mark 10:18). He calls everyone to come to Him. He wants us to come as we are and lay our mistakes and burdens at His feet. One of the reasons for the church is to have a support team of fellow believers that are on this journey with us. We need to stop walking into church like we have it all together and expecting other to do the same. A few years ago, I made such a big mistake that I didn't feel like I was worthy to be in church, have a relationship with God, or have a good relationship with my family. I was ashamed. I was ashamed of myself and I was worried about what my fellow believers would think if they found out what I had done. This is not how it is supposed to be. Yes, we should strive to be Christ-like, but we are human! We are going to make mistakes! And as believers, we need to be Christ-like in the fact of knowing about forgiveness. When God wants a relationship with us, He wants the good and the bad. He wants to take it all and make us new. We need to stop expecting each other to be perfect and turning our noses up at people who aren't "like us". Jesus spent His time with people that did not fit "the christian mold". So when a fellow believer comes to church and wants accountability for their actions, they need to feel comfortable to share it. Not be judged. We need to pray with them and let them know that we re there for them, and that God forgives them. A second problem that I believe christians have today is trying to live the christian life in our own strength. We try and just be good people. Let me tell you something. Living the christian life in our own strength is impossible. We can't live the christian life on our own. When we give our lives to Christ, we give Him full control. He is the one who helps us live the christian life. So stop being judgmental and don't be afraid to come as you are. Being a christian is hard. So let's be able to talk to each other and be there for each other. One of the things about being a christian is admitting that you need a Savior and that you can't live this life on your own. Stop judging and stop hiding. God wants all of us.

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Matthew 11:28

"My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in,and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,”have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called? If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty.For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment."

James 2