The Holiday Season As Told By An Ex Starbucks Barista

If I hear Frank Sinatra's, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," one more time, I might lose it.

334
Flickr

Starbucks is famous for its holiday season. They have created an entire culture around the holidays. Everybody knows that Christmas is only a few months away when Pumpkin Spice hits stores. And when the red cups come out? You might as well start opening your Christmas presents. As a Starbucks barista, you get to experience this magic behind the scenes. However let me just tell you, everything that glitters is not always gold.

1. When the first shipment of Pumpkin Spice comes in.

Okay, even partners get excited about this stuff. After a whole season of new complicated "secret menu" frappuccinos and tons of fruity drinks, it's a relief to get an old classic back in.

via GIPHY

2. The hype about Pumpkin Spice fades a little bit when you start getting customers that order it like this:

Sure, we understand that you like your latte a certain way. But to be honest, I fully believe that some customers find joy in trying to make their drink seem as complicated as possible. Pro Tip: just because it takes you 2 minutes to say your entire order, you are not better than the rest of us.

via GIPHY

3. Hearing that the red cups are coming in next week.

Starbucks has created an entire Holiday culture around its famous red cups. Sure, you can get holiday flavors like peppermint mocha and hot chocolate year round, but for some reason, it just tastes better when you are drinking it out of a red cup.

via GIPHY

4. Wondering what people are going to have to say about the red cups this year.

Last year, Starbucks went with a more minimalistic design for the holiday favorites and people were not happy. These little cups stirred up about as much controversy as a little cup could. Some even suggested that Starbucks removed Christmas from their cups because they hate Jesus." Somehow I think that when Starbucks' design team created the concept for the minimalistic design, they weren't trying to make an anti-religious statement.

via GIPHY

5. Trying to prepare yourself for the madness that is Black Friday at Starbucks

It's no secret that Black Friday in retail is a nightmare. But all of those ridiculous shoppers had to have gotten their energy from somewhere. Chances are, they hit up their local Starbucks at some point during the busy day. There is not enough champagne in the world to prepare you for Black Friday at Starbucks inside of a busy mall.

via GIPHY

6. "Hi, how are you?"

"I'll have a tall peppermint mocha."

This interaction, or lack of, happens all too often. Even more so during the holiday season when people's minds are focused on everything but what they are doing at that moment. I get that you have a lot of stores to hit on this busy Black Friday but, at least acknowledge my existence if you want me to give you coffee.

via GIPHY

7. When the Christmas Tips start rolling in.

It's no secret that around the November and December people start to feel more generous. Some even feel like leaving an extra dollar or two in the tip jar for your local, friendly barista. This generosity almost makes dealing with the holiday season at Starbucks worth it. Almost.

via GIPHY

8. The next time you hear a jazz rendition of Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer you might punch a hole through a wall.

Starbucks likes to play different playlists on a loop which is incredibly annoying all year round. However, during Christmas time it's even more aggravating. Christmas music is fun for the first couple days, but after you've heard Bing Cosby's, White Christmas 30 times, you feel a little differently.

Via GIPHY

9. Seeing people steal gift cards from the display.

They just walk in, grab about 15 unloaded gift cards and walk out. They don't order a drink. They don't put money on the gift cards. I guess it's not technically stealing, but I just would like to know what those people have planned for those empty gift cards.

via GIPHY

10. When you're working on Christmas and somebody asks you why you're working on Christmas.

Yes, working on Christmas is not an ideal situation, but somebody has to. It's almost comical how many people will ask you why you are working on Christmas. Well, customers (much like the person asking this question) still want Starbucks on Christmas day, so we have to work. And the tips are good.

via GIPHY

11. Red Cup season is finally over.

The Christmas music has come and gone, the red cups have run out, and you are finally out of Pumpkin Spice. As much work as the holiday season is at Starbucks, most of us are a little sad to see it go. Oh well, it'll be back soon enough. Pumpkin Spice comes earlier and earlier every year.

via GIPHY