To The High School Athlete Who Gave Up Their Sport In College

Sometimes, change is a good thing.

27

You are the star. You can't imagine your life without sports, your team aka family and the season. When you think of October, you don't think of Halloween, but rather associate the month with "preseason" or all of the games/matches you have that month.

Your sport is your life and when senior year hits, it is also comes with the realization that this is the last year with the remaining familiarity and love of the sport you do with the people you love. The decision was hard for us. For myself as a swimmer of over 12 years, the decision on whether I should swim at a small school in college or go to Penn State was very difficult.

I felt I wouldn't have a place at school if I didn't swim because all I've ever associated myself with was swimming. I couldn't imagine a life where I wasn't always working out and messing around with my friends. But after being in college a whole year now I can confidently say I was not meant to swim and I am exactly where I want to be in life.

I have friends who aren't athletes and it's great. A lot of my friends were serious athletes in high school and love to come work out with me. I have more time for myself and can put school first, plus I don't have to be with the same people everyday for multiple hours on end. Trust me I used to live for time with my team, but now being a part of other great clubs and organizations I couldn't picture my college experience without them. I adjusted to my new life and see this as normal now. Morning practices and getting nervous before meets is a thing of the past. I am happy I swam for 12 years, I found my best friends and made lifelong memories as well.

But to the senior who is unsure because the thought of change is scary, do what seems right. Taking on a sport in college in a huge time commitment whether you go D1 or D3. I've met a few swimmers here and there and their dedication is unreal. Yes, I feel a pang of jealousy every time I see the team eating dinner, or going to practice because I remember how much I used to love that, but then I also remember the amazing group of people I am friends with and I wouldn't change that for the world.

I knew it was time to give up swimming during my senior year of high school. I loved what the sport gave me but didn't necessarily love the sport enough to put so much time into it for the next for years. For those who love the sport, the decision is easy and that is the path they take. But ending a sport does not mean the end the world; it simply changes it and allows you to experience things you wouldn't be able to had you been tied down to your sport.