To the Girls Who Grew Up with the Guys

To the Girls Who Grew Up with the Guys

Only you will understand!

287
To the Girls Who Grew Up with the Guys
Hannah Bullock

In August of ’95 on a hot summer Tuesday, I was born. Surprise! I was an unexpected girl. On my Daddy’s side a girl hadn’t been born for 15 years and another girl was not born until 12 years after me. So to say the least, females were in the lesser count of the paternal side.

So from that day on, I’ve always been one of the guys. I grew up with a younger brother and my male cousins. My family has been going on vacation with another family since I was in 9th grade, and we’ve known them many years before that, so their two sons are no doubt my non-blood brothers. Even more, I go to a church where I often just chill with the guys before class starts. My best friend’s fiancé calls me Sister Sue, and I would call him almost as fast as I would call anybody for help if I needed him. I even work for my dad’s painting business and that consists of male workers too. More than that, I can’t count the number of guy friends I’ve had over the years that I have laughed the most with and had the best times with.

So for the girls out there who are “one of the guys” like me...

1. Time to Tune Out

You’ve probably heard too much in “guy” conversations but joked along back with the boys to avoid the awkwardness.

2. "Natural" Gas

You’ve probably questioned the boys why they are laughing so hysterically so often that you’ve learned to finally stop asking the reason why. It more than likely has to do with “natural” gas if you catch the (their) drift.

3. Words are Mightier than the Sword... or Boy

You’ve probably gotten your sarcasm down to a T because that’s the only way to combat their snarky, but playful remarks.

4. "I Can't Be That Funny"

You’ve probably been the butt of many jokes, but you know your boys only mean for a good laugh. They love you plenty.

5. Guys Night? Girls Night?

You’ve probably chosen at some point to hang out with the guys over your girls when you’ve had the chance or at least combined the company for a better time together.

7. "Dude you got beat by a GIRL"

You’ve probably played basketball for hours on end with the boys even when you may not be that good. You keep playing for the moments when you hear that all-famous “Oooooeeeee” sound with you actually made a shot on one of them.

8. Let Me Explain This... Again

You’ve probably explained over and over to people that the right guys are just better to hang out with. Your best reason might be it's less drama than girls.

9. Love Life? Nonexistant. Broships? Always persistant

You’ve probably been looked at strangely when hanging with the boys or asked if any of them is your boyfriend. The answer is always no. Who needs a boyfriend when you’ve got these guys?

10. You See the Real Them

You probably have learned that the tough exterior they show is really a cover-up for the goofy, softies they really are.

11. No Matter What

You know who can make you laugh when you’re having a bad day, and you always know they have your back if and when you need it. Friday nights watching ninja turtles movies are the best pick and getting in on their favorite sports teams is a must, even when you might choose the rival to argue with them.

Being one of the guys has taught me much over the years. I’ve gained a confidence to be myself around these fellas because they wouldn’t accept me for anything less. I know that the extra special guy I marry one day has a lot to live up to because of the standards they have set.

So to the girls who understand, we all know being “one of the guys” isn’t an insult or offense or anything close. It’s a compliment, a blessing, a way of life that I wouldn’t trade for anything.