How To Use Every Different Type Of Makeup Product

Wait, what are these products? How and why am I using them?

743
pexels

Can you believe that it’s 2017 and people still don’t know what certain makeup products are used for and why people use those products? Thankfully, I am here to let you all know! I will start off with the basics then add a few extra products some people tend to use just so their makeup can look even better.

The first thing that people use on their their face is a moisturizer. If you don’t use a primer before you apply foundation, you definitely need to use a moisturizer. Not only does a moisturizer keep your face moisturized and oil-free throughout the day, it works as a great barrier between your foundation and your skin. Not applying a moisturizer or primer allows foundation and other products that you put on your face to seep into your pores and it can cause breakouts. Also without a moisturizer, foundation tends to not last as long. A great moisturizer can prevent your skin from looking too dry or too oily. Moisturizer is just amazing!

After moisturizing, people often apply a primer before they put on foundation and concealer and the whole shebang. Primers can help your skin and makeup look in all sorts of ways. There are a plethora of primers that do so many different things to your face. Some primers help tighten pores, some primers have a radiant finish, some primers have a dewy finish, some primers moisturize, some primers mattify, and the list goes on. Again, a primer is another great barrier between your skin and foundation. There are chemicals in foundations and can cause bacteria or certain reactions on the skin, therefore it's important to take great care of your skin. Primers are overall great and just help in so many ways.

Everyone knows what foundation is and it’s pretty obvious. It’s just a foundation for the rest of the products you’re going to pack on your face pretty much.

Let’s talk about concealer. I honestly love concealer. Not only does it conceal my imperfections but it also makes me look alive. College tends to make me look like I’m dead because of the lack of sleep I get, so concealer really helps cover the dark circles, brightens my face, and makes me look human!

Translucent powder is a product that took me a while to understand only because there are a few ways to use it. One way is you can dab a damp beauty blender into the powder and use it to “bake” your face. I tend to “bake” my face often because baking helps minimize creases under your eyes, forehead, and where you smile. Also, a translucent powder can help you stay matte and set your make up. I don’t think I go a day without using translucent powder.

Highlighters are super important to complete a makeup look. Yes, it's hard to understand why people would want certain parts of their face to be shimmery but it just looks so beautiful. There are many shades of highlighters which are great. A highlighter can be put on the top of your cheekbones, under your brow arch, the tip of your nose, your cupids bow, and the inner corner of your eye. Putting a highlighter in these places just makes your face look like it's glowing.

Now, these are just some basic products people use when doing their daily makeup routine, some people do a little extra.

People sometimes add eyeshadow primer. Eyeshadow primer helps make your eyeshadow last longer, eyelid from creasing, and your eyelid from becoming oily. I wouldn’t necessarily use an eyeshadow primer if I’m just putting shimmer. I would use the primer if I was doing a smokey-eye look.

Also, people use mascara primer. I love love love my mascara primer and I use it all the time. It really does help your eyelashes grow and keeps your mascara lasting all day long. I noticed when I use my mascara primer, my eyelashes look blacker, fuller, and longer! Mascara primer can be unnecessary for some people, but I personally recommend it because you can really see the difference.

You now know a little more about certain products and why they are used in the makeup world!