The Freshman 15

The Freshman 15

It's what you'll gain and lose.

20
The Freshman 15

It is virtually impossible to not gain the Freshman 15.

No, I don’t speak of the pounds you’ll inevitably put on without even realizing it. I’m speaking of the 15+ lessons you’ll learn regardless of your metabolism. The idiotic mistakes you’ll make in order to better yourself.

The lessons change dependent on the person. One of your lessons could be as simple as don’t hit the snooze button more than two or three times (1) to not limiting who you are to a certain stereo type (2). Don’t be afraid to make a fool out of yourself (3) and don’t be afraid to lay back and look at the stars (4). If you need money, don’t be too above yourself to do the dirty work (5). It’s easier to lose friends than it is to make them, so tread lightly enough to keep the ones you really like, but step confidently enough to scare off the ones who aren’t true friends (6). Trust your gut, it’s right most of the time (7), and being angry over the silly things is not worth the drama (8).

You get to pick the lessons you learn regardless of your situation. You can put yourself into someone else’s shoes (9), or teach yourself to trust strangers less (10). Don’t spend all your money on comfort color t-shirts (11), but do spend all your money on mac and cheese, bagel bites, and Redbox movies (12).

College is four years (okay, maybe five…or six…) enjoy it. Do your school work and learn to study (13). Don’t put all your eggs in one basket (14) and keep an eye open for wonderful opportunities that you’ll stumble upon (15).

What you gain (or lose) in the Freshman 15 is up to you. It’s one year of a crash course in life. Good luck.