The Freshman 15

The Freshman 15

A guide to surviving your freshman year of college.

242
The Freshman 15
Hanna Bewley

1. Be nice to everyone, but choose your friends wisely.

If you want a successful first year at college, keep this in mind. It can become so easy to spread yourself thin between your classes, social life, and a million other responsibilities. You won't have time to please everyone. And, if you haven't already learned this, college is a great time to do so. The company you keep does determine who you are. Who you choose as your friends says a whole lot about your character. I'm sure you've noticed when you spend time with a positive and upbeat person, you feel your mood lift. The opposite is true when spending time with a negative person. They will drain your joy and energy. Being a college student is a time for finding out more about yourself and molding yourself into the person you want to become. You don't always have to follow the crowd. Be selective about who you let your walls down for. If you are a helpful, giving person, it can be easy for others to take advantage of your generosity. Take it from someone who's been there - chose your friends wisely. Give your time to people who truly deserve it, and I promise you will find your right crowd. There is nothing like a true friend, and finding them will be one of your biggest blessings.

2. Your roommate might not be your best friend.

This was definitely a hard truth to realize. You come to college with such high hopes, and rightfully so. There are so many things that live up to and even exceed your expectations during your time as a college student. However, who you decide to live with, or get paired with, isn't guaranteed to become your new BFF. You will most likely have different expectations, personalities, schedules, cleaning habits, etc. Usually, on TV shows and in books, roommates are glamorized and they give you the idea that he or she is going to be this funny, amazing best friend who never leaves your side and will be there for you through all the trials and tribulations of everyday life. Even though this might be the case sometimes, usually it is hard sharing a small space with someone. You don't have to feel pressure to really connect with your roommate, there are so many people out there waiting for you! Don't feel like it's hopeless because a roommate survey didn't work out for you. You might not have too much in common with your roommate, but this doesn't mean you won't be able to make friends. Just always try your best and communicate with them, give them a chance, and do something really nice for them every now and then. You never know what people might be going through. The main goal should be mutual respect. And, most importantly, remember you have three years (or more) left to connect with people and live with different roommates. Freshman year isn't the end all be all.

3. It seems like a big, overwhelming world. But, trust me, it gets smaller.

I definitely had my fair share of break downs while I was still adjusting to the college life. It wasn't easy and it wasn't always fun. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to walk into my dorm room and see me having a good cry in my bed. There were countless times that I felt so alone. Wow, that sounds depressing, doesn't it? I'm only telling you this so I can tell you that those feelings are only temporary. If you are a freshman in college- be proud of yourself. You have accomplished so much to be where you are today. You are in the process of going through a major life change. You have been taken from the known and dropped into the unknown. Change is scary sometimes, I'm the first to admit it. But, it is also is a new door of opportunity. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, am I right? I slowly found my way around, made new friends, joined clubs and organizations, and realized that this huge ocean full of waves and unexplored depths wasn't all that bad- it's actually a great place to go sailing! That being said, I still have my days where I don't exactly feel on top of the world. College isn't perfect- things get stressful and people might disappoint you. It may be hard to find a good balance some days. But, it is a pretty amazing ride and you learn so much about yourself and become prepared for life after walking the stage at graduation. Be excited! The sails will raise up and the wind will be in your favor. Just give it time.

4. Don't feel like you can't do something just because you're a freshman.

If you don't take anything else away from this article, remember this one. Don't feel like you can't take college by storm just because you’re a freshman. Go ahead and join those clubs and organizations. Go to that honor society interview. Apply. Volunteer. Make yourself known. Truthfully, it can be easy to let things pass you by because you don't think you are capable, but you are able to do anything that you set your mind to. The juniors and seniors might seem so much older than you, way more experienced, or like they are in a completely different world. But the truth is, college goes by so quickly. We are all about the same age. Freshman year is a wonderful time to give things a try and find your place. Hit the ground running!

5. Strive for perfect attendance - class is important!

Yes, it might seem tempting to stay in after a late night, but staying in bed isn't going to do much for you. It might seem easy to check online for notes and assignments or ask a friend what's going on. But, what you are missing can't be found online or through a friend. The time in the classroom is so valuable - listening to your professors' lectures and their insights, participating in discussions and taking your own notes can never be replaced by skimming through a summary online. Taking in-class notes is one of the best ways to kickstart your studying. You have to spend time soaking in the information if you want to succeed in college. You are paying for your classes, even the ones your aren't going to. Make the most of your college education, even when you are dreading the sound of your alarm clock going off. If just missing out isn't enough to convince you, remember that your grade is often tied to attendance. Don't let your grade go down and risk your success by skipping class. Some professors even give bonus points for good attendance. Just go, it will pay off in the end. Think how proud you will be of yourself at the end of the semester!

6. If you want to go Greek, consider it your freshman year.

This one is such an important consideration. First of all, deciding to go Greek was one of the best decisions I made as a new college student, especially because I was coming from out of state. I was so far away from my home and family, and joining a sorority gave me a place to feel like I belonged, and such an amazing support system. It is high on the list of the things that I am thankful for during these four years. One thing that I feel many people forget to think about as they are considering if they should go Greek or not, is considering when. If you are on the border about going through a sorority or fraternity recruitment freshman year, my advice would be to go ahead and go for it as soon as you can. If you join freshman year, not only do you get to experience it all four years of school, but you will be new along with everyone else in your pledge class. You all take the first steps into college together. If you wait to join the next year, you will be a year older than your pledge class, which is typically a majority of freshman, if not all.

7. Don't let the new college experiences keep you from getting the 4.0.

During my freshman year, I really did listen to this piece of advice. I wanted to continue the hard work I put in to high school into college. I didn't want the transition or new experiences and freedom that comes with being a college student to reflect on my GPA. For some people, I know it might seem tempting to procrastinate a little more and go to the party or stay out too late (which is never the way to go) instead of getting started on the next assignment and opening up that study guide. It is always better to think long term, your GPA will thank you! It's always smart to maintain a balance, but get the important things taken care of first. Once you start making a practice of it, it will become a habit. Otherwise, you might be digging yourself out of a hole your sophomore, junior, and senior year. No one wants to have that problem. Please, don't let it be yours.

8. Get to know your teachers.

You will be spending a lot of time listening to and interacting with your teachers. My advice? Introduce yourself and get to know them! Becoming more than a number is the first step to forming a personal relationship with them. Your teachers are there for a reason- they care about you and want to see you succeed! If you show them you care, they will definitely be more willing to help you out. All professors have office hours for you to be able to go to them and ask for help - but you don't have to wait until there is a problem. Go say hey! Establishing a relationship with them shows your willingness to work as well as a good attitude. Don't be afraid to send them an email when you have an issue- it shows you care. I promise, your overall college experience will be much better if you put yourself out there and let your teachers know you are interested in their classes. Sadly, you won't always have a professor who cares as much as you do. This is why it can be even more important to put in the extra effort. You can't always assume that the teacher is on your side. They are people too- they can mess up and they can disappoint you. I've definitely learned that lesson. Sometimes unfair things will happen, but that's just a part of life. Another thing - this isn't high school, and teachers aren't going to hold your hand anymore. Keep track of your syllabus for each class and stay organized! So, it is basically up to you how your college experience will be - how you deal with your responsibilities, how much you demonstrate your interest, how you reach out to your professors, and if you choose to stay on top of things.

9. Get a good planner. Plan on actually using it.

This leads me to my next point. If this isn't obvious already, let me tell you again. Find a good planner that works for you! If a desk calendar is your thing, then that's great too! It is just super important to write your assignments, due dates, events, reminders, and anything else that you need to remember. It will take a huge stress off your back when you don't have to worry about forgetting something if you decide to "just remember it." College life is busy and often overwhelming. The biggest favor you can do for yourself is making sure you stay organized. Being able to visually see what's coming up next will help you manage your time better. Plus, how good does it feel to cross something off your list?

10. Remember the importance of time management.

Up until now you have been in high school where you have had a teacher or parent asking you how you are coming along on your project or paper. Maybe you procrastinated in high school anyway and got by with it. But college has more demands per class and per semester than high school. You absolutely cannot wait to the last minute to start or finish a required project or paper. Number one, the professor will see right through it and see that time was not spent on it as thoroughly as it should. This will reflect on your grade. Number two, you will find yourself staying up many nights trying to play catch up. Then you get tired and run down and cannot function as well. This may be one reason college students will get mono. They are tired. Your best defense is to have good time management skills. Think of your requirements like pieces of American cheese. Poke small holes in your projects daily and turn those slices into Swiss cheese! If you do a little at a time then you will find that you are more relaxed and creative than you would be at 3 am the night before it is due. Having said that, even the best time managed student will still find him or herself tired from the daily grind. I will say that Freshman Naps are the best. Don't deny yourself. Even if you only have twenty minutes. That is time well spent to disengage from your surroundings and chill for a moment.

11. Expect to feel homesick, but know you're not alone.

Don't decide the first two weeks that you can't do the whole college thing- stick it out, it will get better. Everyone is in the same boat with you. Time for a reality check: unless you are super social and/or super lucky you might find yourself feeling pretty desperate a time or two the first couple of weeks. You might find yourself crying alone in your bed praying your roommate won't find you this way. I wish someone had told me that this is just a normal part of the adjustment period and that like everything else, it will pass. Don't dare call your mom or dad and tell them you "hate it here" or "I should have lived at home" or "I should have picked a college closer to home." If you decide you must say these things, please warn your parents ahead of time and tell them to please ignore these comments and ones like them until you get fully grounded where you are. You may very well want to make a change in time but certainly don't listen to these early feelings of desperate hopelessness. Please remember this article when you are looking for tissue to blow your nose and wishing you had brought that favorite stuffed animal that got you through puberty when no one else could help. I am just going to come straight out with it. Suck it up, Buttercup. I have always wanted to say that and it is perfectly placed here. Again, if you can't look outside and see many freshman walking around it is because others just like you are crying in their beds. It is okay! You are okay! It is going to be okay! Since I have warned you, you can now just see this as a phase to get through to the fun stuff. But, hey, do bring your favorite stuffed animal back with you after your first visit home. It might could come in handy at other times. Just saying.

12. Don't be afraid to be alone. You might have to be your own cheerleader sometimes.

In high school when you were at home it was easy to shut the world out if you wanted. In college, you are much more aware of other people and their social agendas because you are living in close quarters. You know when your roommate has gone out to eat with friends and you weren't invited. You know when it feels like everyone but you is gathered in one room down the hall eating popcorn and laughing. All of a sudden it is like your protective shield is gone and you are so aware of all the things you don't do. Just know that everyone else is feeling this same way. Sometimes we can be most alone in a crowd. Go ahead and see yourself as your new best friend and treat yourself well. Realize that sometimes you can be your own best company no matter what you are doing. Find what activities make you happy and do them. You may find other people who share similar tastes and develop new friendships through shared activities. Don't mind being alone or feeling like you stand out in a crowd. Remember you came to college for an education, not full time socializing. You may need to remind yourself of this a time or two when you are looking in the mirror. Smile at that person in the mirror. He or she will always be there for you.

13. When you are undecided on your major...

... follow where your passion is, even if it's not necessarily what everyone else is doing. Also, it's perfectly fine to be undecided - everyone has general class requirements that you have to take anyways, regardless of your major. Honestly, it's kind of crazy that we are even expected to know what we want to do with our lives when we are only 18. But, when you finally hear what your heart is telling you, listen to it. Yes, sometimes it's easy to want to follow the crowd. There are some majors that simply attract more students. But, you have to make your own path. No one can decide what is right for you, except you. Sometimes, I have struggled with the idea of choosing a major that wasn't as common. I am a Fine Arts major. I can't tell you the number of times I have heard "Aw, that must be fun!" or "Do you get to make crafts all day?" I can't help but laugh. No, it's not quite like that. I am the one that is in class all day with three hour studios, or up well past midnight when all my friends are asleep. But, I don't mind. I do it because I love it, and you should too. This is the passion that God has placed in me, and I knew years before coming to college what I wanted my major to be. Your story might not be the same. You might not have any idea. But, when the time does come to choose your major, decide based on what puts a smile on your face and a new excitement in your heart. If you love what you do, you never work a day in your life. I also can't tell you the times that I've heard that in some ways, it's mainly just important to get your degree. What comes after graduation can't always be contained within the strict lines of what defines your major. Employers look for a number of skills, and this can lead to so many opportunities - some that you can't even plan for. You might end up doing something completely different than you planned on. Just do what you enjoy, and good things will come from it.

14. It's totally fine to take 12 hours your first semester.

You need time to get used to the campus and your new environment! It would be completely fine to take on a lesser class load, especially if you already have AP credit or took a class over the summer. You worked hard before college for a reason! It's so easy to get excited about all the new opportunities that freshman year provides. Study groups, volunteering, getting to know your college town, parties, finding new friends, you name it. But, doing too much can get you in trouble. It might help you out to learn how to manage your time better, and figure out what college life is all about before you take on even more responsibilities. I actually took 12 hours my first semester, and that was definitely the best choice for me. It helped me to devote more time to the classes I was taking, and not feel too overwhelmed. And, no, I'm not behind now - I am actually ahead on my hours. Just remember, dipping your toe in first might be exactly what you need, and that's nothing to be ashamed about!

15. Soak in every minute.

I promise, it's the fastest four years of your life. During high school, I would always hear that about college. I would think to myself that it wasn't true. How could four years in college go by faster than four years of high school? Every year has 365 days. Boy, was I wrong. There is something about your years as a college student that makes time fly by so fast. For one thing, your schedule is so different. You aren't stuck in the same building from early morning to mid-afternoon. You walk all over campus and often have breaks - maybe 10 minutes, maybe 3 hours - between your classes. You feel like you have all the time in the world, which ends up feeling like no time at all. Ask any college student. College really is such an amazing time in your life - one that you can never get back or experience anything like it ever again. You get to practice being an adult and experience so many firsts, like going to the grocery store by yourself or filling up your own tires when they get low (they were firsts for me, at least). There are the classes on your schedule, but there is also another class you take when you go to college that you aren't given a grade for - a life lesson class, which is invaluable. When you are walking across campus on your first day, it might seem like you have forever. But, you don't. Just remember, this time will come to an end, giving way to another beautiful season of life. Savor every memory. Live in the moment. Make the most of your time. Take lots of pictures!