It Turns Out Interracial Relationships, While Not Uncommon, Are Still Not Universally Accepted

It's amazing how you view the world when in an interracial relationship.

258
Denice Odhiambo

I've been going back and forth about writing this article, because for me personally, and perhaps the millions of interracial couples, it is a touchy subject.

Interracial dating, though not very uncommon, is still not accepted universally.

I have been in an interracial relationship for almost three years now, and for this amount of time I never saw myself as dating outside my race, for me it's always been I'm dating someone that makes me happy and completes me. You know, the yin to my yang type of situation.

Unlike some of my friends who are dating within their race and can walk down the street without getting stares, I, sadly, can't.

It's 2018 and unfortunately, things like that still happen. We live in what is arguably the most culturally diverse country, yet me walking hand in hand with my white boyfriend is not the 'norm.'

My boyfriend recently got a Facebook message, attached to it was a picture of us and the message simply said " Du Untermensch." A quick google search left me in awe.

"Du Untermensch," or just Untermensch, which translates to "subhuman" was a term used by Nazi's to describe people they deemed inferior I.e. Jews, Roma, Blacks, and other people of color.

I was shocked and angry.

I was also confused as to how a person would take time out of their day get on their social media and send such a disgusting message to an interracial couple. I was surprised because it's 2018, interracial marriage has been legal in the U.S for 51 years.

I'm used to the short glances we get while in public, especially going to college in a small town, but when someone sees it fitting to personally attack me as a person and to attack what countless of couples have fought for, is disgusting.

It blows my mind at how ignorant people can be. I never thought I would be the girl whose relationship would be seen as a problem. After all, my family is very accepting of my relationship and so is my boyfriend's family.

This situation opened my eyes; I realized that my relationship is not safe from the bigotry and racism in this world.

Love does not discriminate based on skin color. We all bleed the same.

There are millions of interracial couples and none of us are leaving anytime soon — so get used to it.