The Elf On The Shelf

The Elf On The Shelf

Is it too much?

73
The Elf On The Shelf
Today.com

We've all heard of it. The Elf On The Shelf. The little boxes you see stacked up in the window when you pass the Hallmark store. This 2005 creation is now one of the most popular parts of the Christmas season, but if you think of the actual concept, it becomes slightly creepy.

Yes, it's the perfect tool for parents to use to get their kids to stop swearing, or sneaking around stealing from the candy jar. This little elf is Santa's second pair of eyes. How could we even dare to do anything bad?

We were tricked.

I am definitely guilty of having a huge desire for this little guy, and eventually he became a part of my household after days and days of begging. Now, if you are unfamiliar with the Elf On The Shelf concept, I am going to fix that for you.

It is a little stuffed elf that comes in a box that kids are suppose to believe is actually sent by santa from the North Pole. If you buy one, you give it a name, and it spends its day sitting somewhere watching you until you sleep, then flies to the North Pole to report your behavior, and flies all the way back to a new spot in your house before you wake up, just to do the exact same thing the next day.

I couldn't tell you how I fell for that one. Or how any child falls for it. I was completely fooled.

I used to think this was the best idea until I actually discovered the truth about Santa clause. All imagination was lost, and I began to wonder why this invention ever came about...

The elf immediately went from cute and exciting, to slightly creepy. Seeing that the theme song is "The Elf On the Shelf is watching you, what you say and what you do, the Elf On The Shelf is watching you, each and every Christmas!" Tell me that doesn't make you a little bit worried when the elf happens to place itself in your bathroom for that day.

Also, the Elf has caused unnecessary issues that would never have happened if it weren't for this invention. There is one MAJOR rule to this elf and that is that NO children are allowed to touch it. ONLY the parents (hm. how convenient). This rule is taken so seriously by kids, but there is the occasional child who wants to cause trouble.

I've witnessed blood curdling cries from children when their brother or sister dared to touch the elf. On purpose. If this happens, the elf's magic is supposed to die, so you can only imagine the hatred the other sibling now has for the other because of this incident.

I personally will never introduce The Elf OnThe Shelf in my future household, because of the fact that I WILL mess up. I can't take the tragedy my future children will experience if I forget to move the elf to a new spot. There's so much happening around the Christmas season, I can't worry about remembering to move the elf.

I think people took Christmas a little too far this case. We should really just stick to Santa Clause watching us from the North Pole. It's easier, and prevents meltdowns.