The Election is Over: What Now?

The Election is Over: What Now?

What's the next move in our fight for justice?

12
The Election is Over: What Now?
pixabay.com

If you are like me, the results of this election shook your world. Not only has the candidate that everyone took as a joke won, The US House of Representatives and Senate are both controlled by the Republican party. It's truly a scary time to be a young person of color (not to mention if you are a woman or a part of the LGBT community). While yes it is sad, we cannot panic now.

Here are a few actions we can take to maintain a sense of solidarity during this most difficult time.

1. We need to stay informed.

First things first, we have to educate ourselves. It is important that we take a moment to collect our rattled thoughts and build on what we already know. We know that this system is extremely flawed. We know our basic human rights are being toyed with. We know that it is time for a change. With that being said, the only way to implement change is to be experts about what needs to be made different. Utilize libraries, bookstores, and Amazon accounts and begin to study. Read up on policies, historical social justice movements, and anything else that would be beneficial to the struggle. Get a highlighter and a pen and mark up the pages. Use these books as one of the main weapons in your arsenal. Also, invest in writing down your thoughts. Take a few minutes out of your day to write down questions that need answering, books that you have to read, or just general ideas.

In doing this, we must also continue to educate others. Friends, family, co-workers, and anybody who isn't completely privy to what is happening. Use what you need to be heard (https://www.theodysseyonline.com/use-your-platform), and realize that anyone that dismisses how you feel right now does not deserve your stress. Keep informing others and keep it moving.

There is one thing that will continually trip us up on the road to justice if we use it wrong, and that is the internet. It is a blessing and a curse in the purest form. It is vital that we keep those ourselves and those around us informed, especially in the sea of dark jokes that plague the world wide web. Curb the cheeky jokes and substitute them for true knowledge. We must be tolerant and remind people that this is not a joke meme. This is reality.

2. We need to stay vigilant.

It is of utmost importance that we stay safe. With the various protest, boycotts, and rallies, it can become quite dangerous. And as sad as it is, this election has also brought out the worst of the chauvinistic eccentrics of this country. We have to watch our backs. The stories of racist and sexist ignorance taking over the street in wake of the election results have already started trickling, and I can only imagine how many more stories we will hear up until inauguration day, let alone the next four years. The key is to keep your eyes open. This means that everything you do from participating peaceful protests to pumping gas, you need to be smart and aware. Do what you must have to stay safe, travel in groups or take one headphone out. And stay aware of the company you keep, because you can never be too sure what someone's true intentions are. Trust.

In being vigilant, it is vital that we also know our rights. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS! I cannot stress this enough. Keep in mind that when we are fighting, there will be those who will undoubtedly try to break us down, claiming that we are being destructive or non-compliant. But knowing your rights will help keep you safe when these forces try to come down on you. Be smart.

3. We need to surround ourselves with like minds.

It is a known fact that movements are more powerful in numbers, and if we have anything it is numbers. Get to know the people that support our cause. Gain allies. Learn from others.

And truthfully, if you have friends that don’t support our constant struggle for freedom and justice, are they really your friend?

In all of this, we must stay strong. Although the emotions of this outcome are overwhelming, it is important to note that strong and upset is better than upset and defeated. Let this fuel us to stand up and fight. One person is not bigger than our plight. We don't need to move to Canada. And we should not be so quick to give up hope. We need to come together and fight for the cause of every person of color, woman, and/or member of the LGBT community. As Nelson Mandela once said "For we must, together and without delay, begin to build a better life for all."

Stay safe and remember that it's going to be a long walk to equality.