Use Your Platform

Use Your Platform

Your voice can make a difference, just make sure you are heard.

495
Use Your Platform
m.flickr.com

This may not be realized, but we all have our own platforms.

In today's age, we are always connected by some sort of technology in our hands, our pocket, our wrist, or our laps. And instead of using these devices to share memes or watch recipe videos, I think we should take advantage and use them as platform to spread our voices.

With everything that is going on in our world right now, I believe one of the most important things that we need are voices. Voices to inform other communities. Voices to acknowledge the struggles. Voices to speak our truth.

There is an array of different perspectives of how POCs live in this country, and it is vital that these sides of the story are heard to educate those who haven't the slightest clue of what goes on in the day to day life of a "minority" living in today's society.

We must not be silent or write difficult situations off just because somethings are uncomfortable to talk about. Be it through social media, our everyday actions, or simply word of mouth, we have to be unafraid to use our various platforms to say what we need to say.

Another reason I believe that using our voices is essential to our lives now is for the schooling and uplifting of today's youth. Through media, our children see a slew of images and words that aren't necessarily the most beneficial to their growth. By using our platform to educate those around us, we will also be leading the next group of decision makers by keeping them informed.

But in doing this, it must be remembered that everyone will not be in favor of what needs to be said. There could be loss of people who once called themselves a friend, supporter, or even family. And regardless of this, it is important that we stay true to ourselves and our opinions.

Take for example Colin Kaepernick, who has been really using his platform.

If you haven't heard yet, the San Fransisco 49ers quarterback turned social protester (taking a knee during the national anthem) recently hosted a free camp to underprivileged Bay Area children with a very specific theme: Know Your Rights.

Based on the 10-point program of The Black Panther Party (which was founded in the Oakland in 1966), the "Know Your Right" Camp was implemented by Kaepernick to encourage kids as young as elementary age to know what liberties they have the right to as a citizen. In voicing his opinion, as well as creating this camp, Kaepernick has garnered a slew of haters from virtually no where. But at the same time, he still continues to use his platform in a positive way because others in his league are too timid to do so.

It takes an immeasurable amount of courage to be able to stand up and use your voice for yourself and others. The idea of using your platform is not the easiest to swallow. You must be ready to have people disagree with you right from the beginning. But at the same time, do know that what you are doing is something to be proud of, and there will be those who are going to support you.

This may not be realized, but we all have the power to create change if we speak up.