The Election Fallout on Campus, as told by “Scandal”

Fix, it Liv. Fix it NOW!

14

You know that feeling you get when Monday feels like Wednesday, and Wednesday feels like Friday, and Friday feels like Sunday, and Sunday feels like Thursday and Thursday feels like Tuesday, and Tuesday feels like the End Times?

Yeah, that was last week.

Listen, it’s been a super weird handful of days, since Mr. Donald J. Trump snagged the presidency. For some, the bizarre outcome came in crushing waves of shock, for others, compulsive laughter. But either way, us collegiates all ended the night weeping to the heavens, wondering where in the world was Olivia, the gladiators, Cyrus, Mellie, Jake, heck even Papa Pope when we needed them most?!

We woke up to a bright and shining morning, not even thinking about the toils to come.

Then we realized it was election day and thought, “Honey, I have an essay due tonight, and two midterms to study for. Don’t nobody care about this itty bitty election!”

The day went on as usual. Little “I Voted” stickers caught our eyes as we walked to class. Election signs decorated the front steps of Stamp Union, and camera’s plunged into all the action. Meanwhile, we bought ourselves a celebratory Auntie Anne’s pretzel and kept it moving. #Absentee ballot.

Then 8pm came around, and after a long day of work, we decided to finally check in on the race. After today, it’ll be smoooooooooth sailing. “Hillary’s got this in the bag,” you thought.

“I mean, she does have this in the bag, right? You googled what results they had so far. You refreshed your iPhone four times just to make sure. “Wait...right?!?!”

Your stomach turned as you realized Hillary was down by like, 60 electoral votes, and you seriously didn’t understand what was happening. This man literally said, “bad hombres” and “nasty woman” in the same obnoxious presidential debate, both of which became the inspiration behind two equally as obnoxious Halloween costumes for goodness’ sake.

You started thinking of the four.more.years. you are going to have to spend seeing the same man you’ve been seeing for two years straight now, plastered on your news cycles.

You suddenly wished that whole law about serving no more than two presidential terms would just disappear and the Obamas could just sweep in, save the day and drop the mic. Or at the very least, Ashton Kutcher would pop up on the screen and tell us all we’ve all been watching his newest pranking endeavor, “Punk’d: EXTREME” and this is all the cruelest joke anyone has ever pulled.

But no, it was real. Even when it looked like Hillary was catching up, you realized she wasn’t. And by the end of the night, it was over, but you were just getting started.

You decided right then and there to book the quickest one-way flight to Canada, and drag everyone with you. Goodbye Mr.Trump. Hello Mr. Champagne Papi.

You went off. You blamed whoever voted. You blamed whoever didn’t vote. You blamed whoever voted for Gary Johnson.You blamed those deceitful polls. You blamed the millennials. You blamed the old people.You blamed the educational system. You blamed the immigration system. You blamed the electoral college. You blamed the democrats who should’ve voted for Bernie way back when.You blamed slavery. You blamed white privilege. You blamed the guy who shot Lincoln. You blamed Brexit. You blamed Florida (Oh, C’MON Florida!).You blamed the media, who only want money; who practically made this monster. You blamed yourself for helping the media practically make this monster.

And then, when there was no one left to blame, you took a shower and went to sleep.

You woke up. It was raining...because God was weeping. Everyone around you was talking about it. Everyone around you was numb.

And yet, everyone around you was leaning on someone else. Everyone around you was asking how you were, how you really were. And you realized that if nothing else, this was a huge wake up call.

Sometimes, we expect blessings to look a certain way. But life doesn’t, and will never ever work like that. This is our country.You know that now.

You watch Trump’s victory speech. He tells you that it’s time to unify as a nation. Out of the bottom of your heart, you sincerely hope he means it. You let go of the shock, and the nerves and decide to give the guy a chance. And Clinton tells you to give him a chance, too.

You go to sleep. You wake up. The sun has still risen. The sky has not fallen. You still have homework to do, and Netflix to watch, and people to see, and jobs to get, and community to serve, and life to live, and God to get to know.

You say a little prayer, get on with your life and hope the rest of America does, too.

We may not live in a fantasy world of political make believe, but hey. At the end of the day, sometimes you have to take a deep breath, and think, WWOD:What would Olivia do? Better yet, what would she tell me to do?