How The Death Of Cupcake Has Affected Me
News

Cupcake’s death affected almost as if she had been my little sister.

41
Kamille “Cupcake" McKinney

Many in Alabama and across the country had been watching anxiously since October 12, when an Amber Alert had been issued, hoping that Kamille “Cupcake" McKinney would be found unharmed.

Unfortunately, last Tuesday night, Birmingham Police Chief Patrick Smith gave the news no one wanted to hear: Cupcake's lifeless body had been found at a landfill in Gardendale, inside a dumpster. The shock, devastation, sadness, and disappointment was felt nationwide.

Throughout the entire search, I prayed that she'd be found safely, as so many others had. When I heard the news, I was devastated. The hurt was unlike anything I had ever felt in my life. It hurt as if Cupcake had been my little sister.

In the midst of news, when I got in my dorm, I cried. I had trouble sleeping that night. I played music on my radio, and a certain song popped up.

The song was called “Why God?" by Austin French. I'd heard the song several times before, and even played bass in the song during worship at the BCM, but this time, hearing the song felt so different.

Hearing the song made me ponder that these were the exact thoughts that were on Cupcake's family's mind. “Why did Cupcake have to die?" “Why do the ones who hurt our innocent child get to live, while we have to prepare to bury our precious Cupcake?"

I can't fathom what Cupcake's family was and still is going through. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. What I do know is, God is still with them. He hasn't turned His back on them. He's there to comfort them now and forever.

After listening to the song, I had it placed on my heart to make a video. The video, which can be seen here (https://youtu.be/DW6n4fTm40M) is 11 minutes in length, but the words I spoke before singing the song were straight from God. I knew were not spoken on my own, because I couldn't even begin to formulate the words to say in a situation like that.

Anyway, I found an instrumental version of the song on YouTube, and with my old iPhone 5S plugged into my radio (I use it specifically for music these days), I recorded the video. In that moment, I couldn't think of anything else but to sing that song, and hopefully, provide some comfort to young Cupcake's family. I may never personally meet her family, but I pray that the video provides at least some comfort to them.

In the video, I talk about a couple of verses I have mentioned in my articles this month about anxiety and depression, Philippians 4:6-7. I can't give them peace, but I know the one who can. The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard their hearts now and forevermore (verse 7).

I also said in the video that the song tells us that it's okay to ask, “Why God?" Just as a child runs to his father and asks him, “Why do these things happen, daddy?" we can go to God and ask him that same question, because He is our Heavenly Father.

As I close, I pray for the McKinney family and encourage you to do the same. This is definitely something no one should ever have to go through.