"The Edge Of Seventeen" Is Actually Bad

'The Edge Of Seventeen' Is Actually Bad

Find another movie to watch this spring break.

280

"The Edge of Seventeen" has been widely praised since its release in 2016. It was recently listed by TIME magazine as one of the The 10 Best Spring Break Movies on Netflix to Stream Right Now.

As someone who has a personal affinity for coming-of-age films, it was only a matter of time before this one made it to the front of my queue. I've seen it compared to "Lady Bird" in the past as well, which is one of my favorite films of all time.

I want to make it very clear: comparison of this film in any way to "Lady Bird" is unadulterated blasphemy.

I don't think I've been as disappointed by a coming-of-age movie other than "The Edge of Seventeen" since "Mid90s." Both were poorly written and full of problematic relationships that were never resolved in ways that left the viewer feeling content.

"The Edge of Seventeen" features a horribly unlikable protagonist who becomes jealous of her best friend's relationship with her brother, thus invoking the classic "you can't be my friend if you're going to date my brother" storyline. There's also a boy who's not right for her (of course.)

The most upsetting part of the film is her relationship with her history teacher. The two sort of goad at each other and constantly call out the other's insecurities.

After a particularly angsty interaction with her mother, she goes to his room and confesses that she is having suicidal thoughts, which he does not address and then asks her if maybe she's just unhappy because she has no friends and is decidedly unlikable.

Remarks like this are rather commonplace throughout the film, and the relationships that the protagonist manages to salvage by the end of it don't really seem to be based as much on merit as they are based on the fact that the films time is about to run out of time.