The Do's And Dont's Of Packing For College

How to never fall victim to overzealous lists ever again.

22
Dana Matuson

I remember what is was like the summer of freshman year. You just found out who your roommate was going to be and you immediately rush off to Bed, Bath & Beyond to get matching comforters and little chotskies to decorate your room. Once there, your greeted by a salesperson who is more than eager to print you out your own "customized shopping checklist" based on your school and show you the bed display where you see "mattress topper" and "mattress pad" aren't actually the same thing and you apparently need five or more things to complete your bed. By the time you're done, you can't see out the back window of you car and you wallet is still crying, despite the 20 coupons you stole from your grandmother.

Trust me, you don't need three sets of sheets or drawer dividers. Heed my advice, their list is helpful but its nothing more than a roadmap of general things you'll probably need, not something you actually need to check everything off of.

While I'm not expert at packing (trust me I still-over pack: that's the danger you face when your room this year has two closets and two dressers), I have learned a thing or two over the past few years. Here are just a few things I dub as the necessities to survive school.

Dos:

Backrest- If you like doing homework in bed, especially boring, tedious reading assignments, this will make your life so much easier--and won't leave you hunched over a desk like a hermit.

Drying rack- Doing laundry is a pain. You might remember to take your laundry out of the dryer in an hour, but chances are, not everyone will. This'll come in handy for instances where all the dryers or full or you let your laundry pile up so much you refuse to pay for 2 times around in the dryer.

First aid kit- You'll thank yourself later when you wake up one morning and see your knees cut up like a warzone after falling down during last name's drunk escapade. Throw a tide-to-go pen in there too, cause if your knees are cut up, chances are there's a horrid green grass stain somewhere on your clothes.

SNAAAAACKS- Just a heads up, most dinning halls close around 7, with some maybe open until 9, and if you don't want to hike through the snow to your late night dinning, snacks are a life saver. I really shouldn't have to sell this to you.

Starbucks gift card- Late night finals require it.

Command strips- They'll be your best friend when hanging stuff, plus, they're super easy to take off at the end of the year so you don't end up ripping off chunks off the 15 year old, disgusting, already peeling paint.

Reusable food containers- Great for leftovers of the lasagna your mom sends you in a care package. Plus, if you're low on food (and money), shh pro tip: sneak it into the dinning hall, grab an extra plate of chicken tenders, and fill it up at your table.

Trash bags- Commonly overlooked

Bottle opener- For all of those wine and beer bottles you'll be opening....I mean, cans of soup and tuna fish...yeah that sounds right.

A "fancy outfit"- You never know when you're going to have a job interview or if last minute you decide to rush a sorority. A simple LBD, a cute pair of heels, a sweater (if need be), and a statement necklace and you're all set.

Mattress topper- Spring for one of these and honestly you won't regret it. Dorm mattresses can be old and springy, making a pull-out couch in an old motel seem more appealing. I bought a tempurpedic and it has honestly been the best $150 investment--I legit put it on my bed when I'm home for the summer because it's that comfy.

Extension chord plus surge protector- Trust me, there's not a dorm room out there in America with ample outlets. And the surge protector is so during fire inspections they don't try to take away your extension chord for being a #firehazard.

Medicine- You will get sick. Even if you're the type of person who's like "oh I never get sick", trust me, you're around thousands of people everyday, you will get sick. My advice: DayQuil/NyQuil, allergy medicine (if needed), and Advil is all you really need.

Hangers- I know this may be silly but when you pack 4 suitcases full of clothes you might accidentally leave the hangers in the closet. Been there, done that.

Small bills and quarters- Syracuse you're lucky enough to be able to just swipe your id to do laundry but some dorms (or even sorority houses) still require good old fashion quarters. Bring a ton. Also, having bills are super great so you don't constantly have to ask someone to break your $20 when the bar cover is $5...if you don't have change, chances are most people don't either.

Two pairs of sneakers- One to be your running shoes (campus is beautiful plus that freshman 15 is not a myth) and one to be your designated frat shoe (those bad boys will be your best friend). A matching fracket (sweatshirt you don't really care about) is also a must.

Bed risers- The higher you are, the more under the bed storage you'll have

Shower shoes- Y'all are nasty, a cheap pair of flops will save you from accidentally stepping on the guy across the hall's pubes.

Reusable water bottle- Great to fill up at the dinning hall and then bring with you to class or to the library. Plus, total money saver.

*Sidenote: do leave one small suitcase/duffel bag at school; you'll need it to go home for Thanksgiving or for an unexpected trip. Plus, it can also double as a place to hide alcohol that your RA's can't check...not that I ever did that.

Don'ts:

Your entire wardrobe- If you're like me, you'll over-pack, claiming that you'll need some ugly plaid skirt in case you ever go to a "CEOs and Office Hoes" party. Chances are you'll probably only wear it once and the rest of the year will just take up space in your closet. Only pack the things you'll wear everyday not just for parties; take it from the girl who brought a ton of jeans and skirts but lived in leggings and oversized sweaters the entire winter.

All your books from home- If you really want to, maybe one or two at most. Trust me, you don't want to be the bookworm who stays inside reading all day. Or at least bring a Kindle or something man.

Pet fish- The dorm may allow you to bring a small pet, ie: a fish, but trust me, it's not worth it. College keeps you so busy sometimes you forget to eat or shower yourself so save yourself the trouble of having to feed Nemo and leave him home.

Excessive dorm decor- Target, PBteen, and all these stores have probably started showcasing their dorm room designs, don't fall victim to the pretty pictures and by an obscene amount of throw pillows and wall decorations. Honestly, a tapestry, some cute lights, and maybe one or two picture frames or posters will suffice. Don't turn your room into a display model- it's called display, not liveable for a reason.

Printer- Chances are your dorm offers free printing in the building or if not, definitely the library. You'll only print a few online readings and essays throughout the semester so save the space for more important things.

School supplies: I'm not saying you won't need these, just wait until you go to classes before you buy 5 bulky binders. Pens/pencils and a few folders are fine but you might honestly be able to get away with one notebook if all your classes you can use your laptop. Art supplies are also not necessary unless you're in a major that requires design (exception: joining a sorority god bless you child you are in for a life-time for crafting)

Nice crossbody bag- If you don't want to be like me and end up sticking your ID and key in your sweaty bra when you go out, bring a cross-body bag. Though be wary, bring one that can be thrown-up on, spilled on, whatever it may be. Nothing too fancy, trust me.

HS Letterman jacket- Don't be the kid stuck in HS. No one honestly cares if you were a varsity athlete. HS wear is good for pajamas or on the off chance you have a "hometowns" theme party.

A bf/gf- Well this one's just personal opinion, but to each his own.

Pro tip: when your mom offers you food or money, you take it, trust me. Good luck freshman, you're gonna need it. And just remember, if you forget anything, you're only a short trip from a convenient store or post office (I prefer the latter).