The Dos and Don'ts of Dressing for a Job Interview

An interview is usually the first physical interaction with a prospective employer.

8

.

An interview is usually the first physical interaction with a prospective employer. Consequently, it is in your best interest to mind your appearance since the first impression matters a lot. Before the day of the interview, it is equally important to prepare your dress code as well as how you conduct yourself throughout the interview. Below are some Dos and Don’ts you may want to go by to make a good first impression for your major job interview.

Do Check for the Dress Code of the Company and Choose Your Clothes Appropriately

Aligning your dress code to the company’s dress code is always the first step toward creating a lasting first impression. The dress code helps you to look the part you are interviewing for. If you are interviewing for a job in the corporate sector, it is always advisable to go for business attire. However, if the company is more casual, ensure that you dress in a business-casual outfit.

Don’t Wear Clothes That Are Too Tight

Your selected clothes have to fit you perfectly without being too tight. In case your perfect interview outfit seems too tight, consider seeking the help of tailors for some alterations.

Do Check the Colors of Your Dressing

Whether you are going for business attire or business casual attire, it is always advisable to go for light-colored shirts, tops, blouses, and darker jackets, suits, and pants.

Don’t Show Too Much Skin

Wearing clothes that show too much skin may send a wrong impression to your potential employers. Tank tops, shorts, and singlets are a no-no for an interview even if the weather is too hot outside.

Do Ensure Your Selected Clothes That Fit Your Body

When selecting the right clothes for an upcoming interview, you should make sure that the clothes are not too tight or uncomfortable. The clothes have to perfectly fit your body to boost your general confidence. In case they need some alterations, you should not hesitate to have your clothes tailored by a top-notch tailor.

Don’t Wear a Strong Perfume

You must avoid wearing a strong perfume since you may never know who is allergic to some scents. Some companies may also be going fragrance-free.

Do Ensure That the Clothes are Clean and Ironed

Clean and ironed clothes help you look smart and professional. At a job interview, you want to make a solid first impression, and having clothes that aren’t wrinkled will go a long way in accomplishing that.

Don’t Wear Flashy Colors and Accessories

When picking your outfit and the accompanying accessories, ensure that the color of your dress and the choice of your accessories are not too flashy. Dressing in simple colors and accessories is always preferable.

Generally, dressing appropriately for a major interview helps to create a good first impression on your prospective employers. A well-dressed interviewee communicates a serious interviewee. Hence, the interviewer is likely to consider you once you have made a good first impression.