To The Class Of 2017 High School Seniors

“Don’t count the days, make the days count.”

70
Chloe Freed

Congratulations, you have made it to the point you thought would never come; high school graduation.

An exciting journey awaits you. College acceptance letters are rolling in. You are scurrying to answer the hardest question “what do you want to do with your life?” Prom is right around the corner. You and your friends are already planning a packed summer so you don’t miss one another too much. Everything exciting is happening right now. But, hold on, take a breath and pause for a second.

Do not rush. College is a bit away. Right now, as you sit in your high school classroom, look around. Look at your best friend who is sitting next to you. Look at your favorite teacher giving the lesson. Even look at that one kid in the class who constantly raises his hand. Savor these little moments. You may not realize it, but you are going to miss these little moments.

When you drive home from school, look at the places in your home. Your favorite coffee house. The fast food that you and your friends would munch on at 12 a.m. All of it makes up your home, the home that won’t realize you miss so much until you go to school. College is great, honestly, but there is really no place like home.

You will miss home cooked meals, seeing your pet, and even your siblings. You will begin to miss the little things you never thought you noticed until you are sitting in your dorm in the dark wishing you had them. Home is where your heart is. No matter how many times you think you have packed it away, you always manage to leave it sitting on your bed.

When graduation comes and you are sitting, anxiously waiting for your name to be called, preparing yourself to shake with the right and grab with the left, breathe and pause for a second. All the work you have put in, all the memories you have made, all the spontaneous trips you got to take; they all add up to this moment. Do not take it for granted. Enjoy the rest of high school. Enjoy being a kid. Enjoy sitting at the same table every day at lunch with your best friends. It sounds sappy, but you are going to miss these moments.

But, when your name is called, go up there with pride in your heart because you did it. You made it. Be proud of all the hard work you put into your four years of high school. And, you are about to move on to one of the greatest chapters in your life. Keep your chin high and shoot for the stars. You have a lot of amazing things ahead of you, but don’t be afraid to look back at where you came from.

Good luck class of 2017, you got this!

- A college freshman