The Black Out: How To Handle Fainting Often

What causes everything to go dark?

21

Imagine waking up to a bunch of people standing over you, saying your name and explaining to you what just happened. Everything may be muffled and it might take a second for you to remember where you are. Fainting is a normal thing; at least that’s what I tell myself every time it happens to me. It doesn’t matter how many times it has happened, there is nothing scarier than your body pulling you into darkness. There are many different reasons why people faint; dehydration, exhaustion, anxiety, stress, having blood drawn or the sight of blood, and many other reasons. For me, it’s the whole blood thing.

Whether it’s my own blood or someone else’s, if I see it, I’m going down. On the bright side, I have learned to know when I am fainting or not, which is a very important thing to know. You can seriously injure yourself when fainting, which is why if you know you faint when getting blood drawn, ask to be able to lie down when they do it - this way, you won’t fall or slide off the chair. In any situation where you feel faint, sit down. Also, try to learn what happens before you faint so you can warn the people around you; such as nausea, cold, clammy sweat, blurred vision, light headedness, or if you’re like me, seeing black spots.

How can you prevent yourself from fainting? I’ll let you know when I find out, but meanwhile drink water, eat healthy, and exercise. Yes, the three things your doctors have been telling you forever, but it’s true - those three things can maybe not prevent these fainting spells, but help them from happening often. My favorite question after fainting when getting blood taken is, have you had any food today? Well no, because you told me I couldn’t eat before the blood test. It’s like when the dentist asks your favorite color while they have both a toothbrush and a water hose in your mouth. If you can eat before one though, I highly suggest a nice big breakfast with lots of protein and water.