The Benefits of Private Insurance During Pregnancy

Private Insurance During Pregnancy

12

Private health insurance, which is a necessary purchase in many countries, can provide people with extra health-based benefits throughout their lives. However, most people don’t consider the positives of private health insurance until they get a deliberating illness or become pregnant.

This makes a lot of sense considering health insurance is expensive. But pregnant women should consider purchasing some insurance to ensure their personal and financial safety.

10 Benefits Pregnant Women Receive With Private Insurance

Whether you live in a country with socialized or private medicine or a mix of the two, there are many benefits pregnant women receive after they purchase private healthcare insurance.

1. Access to Specialists

With private health insurance, you can access specialists sooner and more easily than with public health care providers like Medicare or Medicaid. This gives you access to specialized prenatal care from an obstetrician or gynecologist who specializes in maternal health.

2. More Flexibility

Private insurance often provides more flexibility when it comes to selecting doctors, hospitals, and other medical providers. This is especially true in countries with socialized medicine. For example, in Australia, you can check out and compare iSelect private health insurance quotes on packages that provide private hospital rooms to patients.

3. Financial Protection

Private health insurance is designed to protect you financially during times of need, such as needing extra tests or treatments due to complications in your pregnancy or delivery. Health insurance can even turn your life around after a financial setback or prevent one altogether.

4. Coverage for Prenatal Vitamins & Supplements

Many private plans cover prenatal vitamins and supplements that are prescribed by doctors as part of routine prenatal care. Without insurance, you may need to pay out of pocket. This may prevent pregnant women from spending money on vitamins, even though they’re necessary.

5. Maternity Clothing Allowance

Some private plans include maternity clothing allowances. These allow expectant mothers to purchase necessary clothing items throughout their pregnancies without breaking the bank. Keep in mind that used maternity clothing always pops up in second-hand or vintage stores.

6. Early Detection Tests & Screenings

Private plans typically cover early detection tests, such as ultrasounds, amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling (CVS), non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT), genetic screenings, and more. These types of tests can help families make more informed decisions about their child’s future.

7. Access To Maternal Mental Health Care

Many private plans offer coverage for mental health services related specifically to maternal mental health. This includes counseling sessions with professionals experienced in treating conditions such as postpartum depression (PPD), anxiety disorders, and eating disorders.

8. Birth Center Benefits

If expecting mothers prefer a birthing center over a hospital setting during delivery, some private insurers offer coverage benefits specifically tailored toward this type of care. They may even cover midwives and/or at-home births, provided the mother hires a licensed health professional.

9. Extended Hospital Stay After Delivery

Most private insurers provide extended hospital stay benefits after birth, which allow mothers extra time in the hospital following childbirth if needed. While an uncomplicated birth will get you discharged in 24 hours, a complicated birth or c-section may delay your discharge to 4 days.

10. Childcare Reimbursement Benefits

Some insurers provide reimbursement benefits towards childcare costs after delivery, which include additional costs associated with caring for newborns. These reimbursement benefits may or may not include compensation for maternity or paternity leave, so be sure to check.

In Conclusion…

As an expectant mother, it's important to understand all the possible advantages offered when you purchase private health insurance, as it can affect your choices during pregnancy. You'll have a smoother pregnancy journey when you have access to quality healthcare during delivery.