6 Benefits Of Having Animals In Dorms

6 Benefits Of Having Animals In Dorms

"Allowing animals in the dorms would provide an easier coping route."

207
6 Benefits Of Having Animals In Dorms

Extensive research has been done by multiple parties on the benefits of residing with animals in college dorms. It is common knowledge that when animals are residing with you, your general mood is lifted. Animals are used for companionship, but they can also be used to treat stress, depression, anxiety and much more. Below are some things that animals (anything from hamsters to cats and even small dogs) would come in handy for.

1. Dogs could encourage physical exercise

You should walk your dogs multiple times every day, and must if you live in an apartment with no yard. Walking dogs requires physical exercise. You can walk, but you can also run, too. This leads to improved health overall.

2. Pets can aid with the feeling of loneliness

Even with having a roommate, you can still feel lonely. Especially if you are a student who is constantly in your room studying. Pets can aid in relieving that loneliness by giving you something living to accompany you.

3. Pets can fill owners with a sense of purpose

Sometimes when you are the type of introvert that prefers to stay in your dorm all day you can lose your sense of purpose. This can also come with acute anxiety and depression. Some people have to self-diagnose those mental health impairments because of socioeconomic status, and because of this, they can't get the required paperwork signed for Emotional Service Animals in order to avoid the medication route. Allowing animals in the dorms would provide an easier coping route for these people.

4. Pets can decrease blood pressure levels

Pets can decrease stress levels which have a lot to do with blood pressure levels.

5. Pets can increase social interactions

Having pets can increase communication because naturally other people desire meeting animals, given that they are animal people. This leads to communication between owners and others. Communication leads to improved mental health as isolation can lead to several other problems.

6. Pets can keep their owners more focused on the present

As opposed to studying so much and always being kept in the future with planning and testing, pets can force a present lifestyle as they require attention, a feeding schedule, a care schedule, and so on.