The Basics Of Voting In MA
Politics

The Basics Of Voting In MA

With the election approaching there are many deadlines you need to be aware of and many questions you may still need answered.

36
The Basics Of Voting In MA
SarahPAC-USA

Not only is voting your civic duty, but with such a tense race (and with the polls showing a tight race) I’d say that voting in this election is pretty important. The 2016 November presidential election is less than a month away, and with the date quickly approaching there are many deadlines you need to be aware of, and many questions you may still need answered.

Voter Eligibility

You are eligible to register to vote in MA if you are:

• A citizen of the U.S.
  • A resident of Massachusetts.
  • At least 18 years old (or will be 18 years old by November 8th 2016).

Registration Status

You can check your voting registration status here

How to register

Online: Luckily in Massachusetts if the RMV has a signature on file, and you have a state ID or license with the RMV you can register to vote hereand it takes less than 2 minutes to do so. You can also use this to update your address or political party affiliation. It must be submitted by October 19th 2016 at midnight.

Mail: You may download the voter registration form here. Or Request a copy to be mailed to you by calling (617)-727-2828 or (800)-462-8683. You can also obtain one from any high school, vocational school, college, or university. The form must be completed, signed, and delivered to your local election official. Voter registration forms submitted by mail must be postmarked no later than October 19th 2016. You can find a list of election offices to here

*Your confirmation notice will be mailed to you. If you do not received it, reach out to your local election office to confirm your voting status.

*It is recommended that you include a copy of your identification with your mail-in voter registration form (Copies are accepted, and items may not be returned) - if you choose not to do so, you may be asked for identification when you go to your polling place on Election Day.

*If you are voting for the first time in a federal election in Massachusetts after registering to vote by mail, you may be required to show identification under federal law.

In-Person: You may do so at any local election office, as well as the Elections Division of the Secretary of the Commonwealth's office. You can find a list of local election offices here. Voter registration is also available as part of every transaction at the Registry of Motor Vehicles and at certain public assistance agencies. You can find a list of RMV’s here. Voter registration forms completed in-person are valid as of the day that they are signed.

* If registering at an RMV office, keep your receipt until you get confirmation from your local election official. If you do not receive your confirmation, contact your local election office to make sure you're registered.

When to register

You only have until October 19th 2016 to register to vote in Massachusetts.

When to re-register

You only need to re-register to vote if you change your name or your address (i.e. you move or get married or divorced). OR did not vote in two consecutive State Elections and have moved (state elections are held in every even year).

Pre-registering to Vote

Although you must be 18 years old in order to vote, you may pre-register to vote once you are 16 years old. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may submit a voter registration form to your local election official, who will then place your name on the list of pre-registrants – you can submit this form by mail, online, or in person (see above). Once submitted, you will receive a pre-registration notice by mail confirming receipt of your application.

Once you are 18 your local election will mail you an acknowledgement notice, which is confirmation that your name has been moved from the list of pre-registrants to the list of registered voters. Your acknowledgement notice will also include your party affiliation and the location of your polling place.

New Citizenship

If you become a new citizen after the deadline to register to vote, you CAN still vote. Go in person to the Election Department at City Hall up until 4 PM on the day before the election. You must bring your dated naturalization papers for them to copy.

Mandatory Information

These parts of the form are mandatory:

• Name First Name. Middle Initial or Name. Last Name. Other- Jr. III etc.
  • Former name if you are changing your name.
  • Current street address and Apt # for your voter registration. No PO Boxes.
  • Mailing address if you use a Post Office Box.
  • Birth date
  • Party affiliation. “Unenrolled” for no party.
  • Old registration address if you were registered before.
  • Date
  • Signature
  • An identification number: Your Drivers License # or the last four digits of your Social Security #. If you don’t have these, write “None”.

Change of Address

You must update your voter registration EVERY time you move. You can update your registration by filling out a new voter registration form.

HOWEVER, if you move after the deadline to register to vote in a state election or primary, you should wait to update your registration until after the date of the election or primary, and return to vote at your previous polling place in Massachusetts. State law allows you to vote from a previous address in a state election for up to six months after you have moved, as long as you have not registered elsewhere.

Political Party Affiliation

If you want to change your party enrollment you have to fill out a new voter registration form. Members of political parties may vote only in their own party's primary elections. Unenrolled voters (aka "Independents") and members of political designations or minor parties may vote in the party primary of their choice.

*Choosing to vote in a particular party's primary does NOT enroll you as a member of that party.

You have three options:

• Register in a Party: You may register to vote in one of the three parties in Massachusetts who have qualified for official party status–Democrat or Republican.
  • Register with No Party Affiliation: In Massachusetts, you may list yourself as “Unenrolled” which means you do not have a party designation. You will still have the option to vote in a major party primary.
  • Another “Political Designation”: You can also choose from a party that is not considered an official party in Massachusetts. Like “Unenrolled” status, if you choose a separate party affiliation, you will still have the option to vote in a major party primary.

A full list of political parties and designations may be found here

Identification Requirements

You may be asked to show identification when you check-in at your polling place for any of these reasons:

• You are voting for the first time in Massachusetts in a federal election
  • You are an inactive voter
  • You are casting a provisional or challenged ballot
  • The poll worker has a reasonable suspicion that leads them to request identification.
  • If you did not return your annual census form collected by every town and city in Massachusetts.

Acceptable identification:

must include your name and the address at which you are registered to vote.

Examples of acceptable identification include: a driver's license, state-issued ID card, recent utility bill, rent receipt, lease, recent bank Statement, government document like a paycheck stub. a copy of a voter registration affidavit, or any other printed identification which contains the voter's name and address.

If you are unable to present identification when you check-in to your polling place, you may cast a provisional ballot and return later with identification. If you are not able to present identification in such a situation, you must still be permitted to vote; however, your ballot must be challenged (meaning that your name and address, the name and address of the challenger, and the reason for the challenge must be written on your ballot). If you do not return with acceptable identification by close of polls, your ballot cannot be counted. You ballot will be cast normally, and will only be re-examined in the case of a recount, court order, or audit.

Military & Out of State voters

If you are a Massachusetts resident but you are overseas or attending school in another state, you can still register to vote in MA.

Military & Over Seas voters:

You can register to vote using the Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application (Form 76) if you are: A military member OR military dependent, or a U.S. citizen who is overseas. You can find that form here. The FPCA can be submitted: online (at their website here), or by mail, e-mail, or fax to the election office in your permanent home city or town.

Out of State voters: Most out-of-state voters who remain eligible to vote in MA can register using any of the standard methods mentioned above.

If you're a college student attending school in another state, you can either: register to vote in your home state OR register in the state where you attend school. You should register from the address you consider your residence. For example, if Massachusetts is your permanent residence, register in MA.

If you registered in your home state, you can request that the state mail you an absentee ballot.

You can also apply for an absentee ballot if you’re school is far away from your registered polling place (aka if you’re across the state) – but you might want to consider registering in your school’s town/city.

*You cannot register to vote in multiple states.

How to get an absentee ballot

You are eligible for an absentee ballot if you are unable to vote at the polls on election day due to:

• Absence from the voter’s city or town during normal polling hours
  • Physical disability preventing you from going to the polling place
  • Religious belief
  • A Massachusetts citizen absent from the state
  • An active member of the armed forces or merchant marines, their spouse or dependent
  • A person confined in a correctional facility or a jail, except if by reason of felony conviction

You can find the application to apply for an absentee ballot here

Although the technical deadline is not until noon on November 7th 2016 they highly recommend that you turn the form in 2-3 weeks ahead of time to ensure that you receive the ballot in time.

You select how you would like to submit your absentee ballot on the form you submitted. Your ballot must be received by an election official by the time polls close on November 8th 2016 (8pm). So the sooner the better!

You can track your absentee ballot here

Taking Time Off Work

No owner/superintendent/overseer/etc. in any manufacturing, mechanical or mercantile establishment will prevent any person entitled to vote at an election, during the period of two hours after the opening of the polls in the voting precinct, ward or town in which such person is entitled to vote, if he/she/they take a leave of absence during this period to vote.

When to vote

In all state elections and primaries polling places must be open from 7 a.m.-8 p.m., though some towns are allowed to open as early as 5:45 a.m. Voters who are in line when polls are closed at 8 p.m. must be allowed to vote. For municipal elections, polling hours will vary by city and town. Check with your local election official for polling hours for your municipal election.

Early Voting

For the first time, Massachusetts voters will be able to cast their ballots before Election Day, at their own convenience. This year, you have the option to cast your State Election ballot at any early voting location in your community, by mail, or at your polling place on Election Day. Early voting runs from Oct 24 - Nov 4.

To vote by mail, download the Early Ballot Application here and mail it to your local election official. Local election officials will begin mailing early ballots on October 24th. Contact your location election official for the early voting locations and times or find a location here

Where to vote

You can find out where you go to vote here

What Your Ballot Will Look Like

You can check what your ballot will look like here

2016 Ballot Questions

Question 1: This proposed law would allow the state Gaming Commission to issue one additional category 2 license, which would permit operation of a gaming establishment with no table games and not more than 1,250 slot machines.
The proposed law would authorize the Commission to request applications for the additional license to be granted to a gaming establishment located on property that is (i) at least four acres in size; (ii) adjacent to and within 1,500 feet of a race track, including the track's additional facilities, such as the track, grounds, paddocks, barns, auditorium, amphitheatre, and bleachers; (iii) where a horse racing meeting may physically be held; (iv) where a horse racing meeting shall have been hosted; and (v) not separated from the race track by a highway or railway.

A YES VOTE would permit the state Gaming Commission to license one additional slot-machine gaming establishment at a location that meets certain conditions specified in the law.

A NO VOTE would make no change in current laws regarding gaming.

Question 2: This proposed law would allow the state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education to approve up to 12 new charter schools or enrollment expansions in existing charter schools each year. Approvals under this law could expand statewide charter school enrollment by up to 1% of the total statewide public school enrollment each year. New charters and enrollment expansions approved under this law would be exempt from existing limits on the number of charter schools, the number of students enrolled in them, and the amount of local school districts' spending allocated to them.

If the Board received more than 12 applications in a single year from qualified applicants, then the proposed law would require it to give priority to proposed charter schools or enrollment expansions in districts where student performance on statewide assessments is in the bottom 25% of all districts in the previous two years and where demonstrated parent demand for additional public school options is greatest.

New charter schools and enrollment expansions approved under this proposed law would be subject to the same approval standards as other charter schools, and to recruitment, retention, and multilingual outreach requirements that currently apply to some charter schools. Schools authorized under this law would be subject to annual performance reviews according to standards established by the Board.

The proposed law would take effect on January 1, 2017.

A YES VOTE would allow for up to 12 approvals each year of either new charter schools or expanded enrollments in existing charter schools, but not to exceed 1% of the statewide public school enrollment.

A NO VOTE would make no change in current laws relative to charter schools.

Question 3: This proposed law would prohibit any farm owner or operator from knowingly confining any breeding pig, calf raised for veal, or egg-laying hen in a way that prevents the animal from lying down, standing up, fully extending its limbs, or turning around freely. The proposed law would also prohibit any business owner or operator in Massachusetts from selling whole eggs intended for human consumption or any uncooked cut of veal or pork if the business owner or operator knows or should know that the hen, breeding pig, or veal calf that produced these products was confined in a manner prohibited by the proposed law. The proposed law would exempt sales of food products that combine veal or pork with other products, including soups, sandwiches, pizzas, hotdogs, or similar processed or prepared food items.

The proposed law's confinement prohibitions would not apply during transportation; state and county fair exhibitions; 4-H programs; slaughter in compliance with applicable laws and regulations; medical research; veterinary exams, testing, treatment and operation if performed under the direct supervision of a licensed veterinarian; five days prior to a pregnant pig's expected date of giving birth; any day that pig is nursing piglets; and for temporary periods for animal husbandry purposes not to exceed six hours in any twenty-four hour period.

The proposed law would create a civil penalty of up to $1,000 for each violation and would give the Attorney General the exclusive authority to enforce the law, and to issue regulations to implement it. As a defense to enforcement proceedings, the proposed law would allow a business owner or operator to rely in good faith upon a written certification or guarantee of compliance by a supplier.

The proposed law would be in addition to any other animal welfare laws and would not prohibit stricter local laws.

The proposed law would take effect on January 1, 2022. The proposed law states that if any of its parts were declared invalid, the other parts would stay in effect.

A YES VOTE would prohibit any confinement of pigs, calves, and hens that prevents them from lying down, standing up, fully extending their limbs, or turning around freely.

A NO VOTE would make no change in current laws relative to the keeping of farm animals.

Question 4: The proposed law would permit the possession, use, distribution, and cultivation of marijuana in limited amounts by persons age 21 and older and would remove criminal penalties for such activities. It would provide for the regulation of commerce in marijuana, marijuana accessories, and marijuana products and for the taxation of proceeds from sales of these items.

The proposed law would authorize persons at least 21 years old to possess up to one ounce of marijuana outside of their residences; possess up to ten ounces of marijuana inside their residences; grow up to six marijuana plants in their residences; give one ounce or less of marijuana to a person at least 21 years old without payment; possess, produce or transfer hemp; or make or transfer items related to marijuana use, storage, cultivation, or processing.

The measure would create a Cannabis Control Commission of three members appointed by the state Treasurer which would generally administer the law governing marijuana use and distribution, promulgate regulations, and be responsible for the licensing of marijuana commercial establishments. The proposed law would also create a Cannabis Advisory Board of fifteen members appointed by the Governor. The Cannabis Control Commission would adopt regulations governing licensing qualifications; security; record keeping; health and safety standards; packaging and labeling; testing; advertising and displays; required inspections; and such other matters as the Commission considers appropriate. The records of the Commission would be public records.
The proposed law would authorize cities and towns to adopt reasonable restrictions on the time, place, and manner of operating marijuana businesses and to limit the number of marijuana establishments in their communities. A city or town could hold a local vote to determine whether to permit the selling of marijuana and marijuana products for consumption on the premises at commercial establishments.

The proceeds of retail sales of marijuana and marijuana products would be subject to the state sales tax and an additional excise tax of 3.75%. A city or town could impose a separate tax of up to 2%. Revenue received from the additional state excise tax or from license application fees and civil penalties for violations of this law would be deposited in a Marijuana Regulation Fund and would be used subject to appropriation for administration of the proposed law.

Marijuana-related activities authorized under this proposed law could not be a basis for adverse orders in child welfare cases absent clear and convincing evidence that such activities had created an unreasonable danger to the safety of a minor child.

The proposed law would not affect existing law regarding medical marijuana treatment centers or the operation of motor vehicles while under the influence. It would permit property owners to prohibit the use, sale, or production of marijuana on their premises (with an exception that landlords cannot prohibit consumption by tenants of marijuana by means other than by smoking); and would permit employers to prohibit the consumption of marijuana by employees in the workplace. State and local governments could continue to restrict uses in public buildings or at or near schools. Supplying marijuana to persons under age 21 would be unlawful.

The proposed law would take effect on December 15, 2016.

A YES VOTE would allow persons 21 and older to possess, use, and transfer marijuana and products containing marijuana concentrate (including edible products) and to cultivate marijuana, all in limited amounts, and would provide for the regulation and taxation of commercial sale of marijuana and marijuana products.

A NO VOTE would make no change in current laws relative to marijuana.

How to access information on questions

History of these ballot questions here

MA’s guide to ballot questions here

Who is on the ballot

Major candidates in MA are listed below.

Presidential Candidates:

CLINTON and KAINE, Democratic

JOHNSON and WELD, Libertarian

STEIN and BARAKA, Green-Rainbow

TRUMP and PENCE, Republican

MA House of Representatives:

FIRST DISTRICT

RICHARD E. NEAL, 36 Atwater Ter., Springfield, Democratic

FREDERICK O. MAYOCK, 83 Yorktown Dr., Springfield, Independent

THOMAS T. SIMMONS, 72 Main St., Shelburne, Libertarian

SECOND DISTRICT
JAMES P. McGOVERN, 393 Burncoat St., Worcester, Democratic

THIRD DISTRICT
NICOLA S. TSONGAS, 240 Clark Rd., Lowell, Democratic
ANN WOFFORD, 18 Lexington Ave., Haverhill, Republican

FOURTH DISTRICT
JOSEPH P. KENNEDY, III, 12 Gibbs St., Brookline, Democratic
DAVID A. ROSA, 323 Lincoln Ave., Dighton, Republican

FIFTH DISTRICT
KATHERINE M. CLARK, 64 Prospect St., Melrose, Democratic

SIXTH DISTRICT
SETH MOULTON, 10 Forrester St., Salem, Democratic

SEVENTH DISTRICT
MICHAEL E. CAPUANO, 172 Central St., Somerville, Democratic

EIGHTH DISTRICT
STEPHEN F. LYNCH, 55 G St., Boston, Democratic
WILLIAM BURKE, 64 Bromfield St., Quincy, Republican

NINTH DISTRICT
WILLIAM RICHARD KEATING, 10 Briarwood Ln., Bourne, Democratic
MARK C. ALLIEGRO, 41 Metoxit Rd., Falmouth, Republican
CHRISTOPHER D. CATALDO, 493 Main St., Norwell, Unenrolled
PAUL J. HARRINGTON, 14 Baileys Path, Chatham, Independent
ANNA GRACE RADUC, 129 Fuller St., Halifax, Unenrolled

You can find the full list of representatives here

And you can find the list of the specific candidates in your district here

How to access information on candidates

You can view the history of the candidates here

And a list of all the candidates and their websites here

How to Vote:

Check-In
When you enter your polling place, you must get in line to check-in. Some polling places may serve more than one precinct, so be sure to check that you are in line for the correct precinct. When you approach the check-in table, you will be asked to state your address and then your name. If you are an unenrolled (aka independent) voter or a member of a political designation and you are voting in a primary, you will also be asked which party's ballot you wish to choose. Poll workers are required to repeat this information back to you.

Mark Your Ballot
After a poll worker has checked you in, you will be handed your ballot. If you are voting on a ballot which will be inserted into an optical scan machine, you will also be handed a secrecy sleeve with which to cover your marked ballot. You may proceed to an available voting booth where you may mark your ballot in private. Ballots are marked by the voter filling in ovals, connecting arrows, or marking an X next to candidates and questions. Read the top of your ballot for instructions on how to fill it out properly.

If you require assistance marking your ballot due to physical disability, inability to read or inability to read English, you may bring anyone of your choosing into the voting booth with you. Alternatively, you may ask for the assistance of two poll workers (by law, the poll workers assisting you should be of different political parties). If you would prefer to mark your ballot independently, you may use the AutoMARK Voter Assist Terminal, which is available in every polling place. The AutoMARK will read the ballot to you and mark the choices that you indicate.

Check-Out
When you have finished marking your ballot, you must proceed to the check-out table, where you will once again be asked for your address and then your name. Again, if you are and unenrolled/independent voter or a member of a political designation and you are voting in a primary, you will be asked to inform the poll worker of the ballot that you chose. The poll worker must repeat all of this information back to you.

Cast Your Ballot
Once you have checked out, you may proceed to the ballot box, where you will insert your ballot. Most cities and towns in Massachusetts use optical scan ballots, which means that you will likely be inserting your paper ballot into a machine which will tally your ballot. If your town continues to use paper ballots which are tallied by hand at the end of the night, you will fold your ballot as indicated and insert it into the ballot box. In either case, a poll worker will be stationed near the ballot box to instruct you on how to cast your ballot.

At the close of polls, poll workers will remove the ballots from the locked ballot box. In communities which hand count their ballots, tellers will tally the votes by hand. In communities which use optical scan machines, poll workers will print out the machine tally, hand count any write-in ballots or ballots which could not be counted by the machine, and compile an unofficial tally. In all communities, the ballots must then be sealed in containers and the tally must be announced. This entire process is open to public viewing.

Inactive Voters

The inactive voters list is made up of registered voters who have not responded to the annual street list (aka the census) or subsequent confirmation notice. Inactive voters may still vote, but will first be asked to show identification and will be required to fill out an affirmation of current and continuous residence. On this form, you must affirm that you continue to reside at the address at which you are registered, have moved within the same town, or have moved from one municipality to another Massachusetts municipality within six months of a state election.

You will also be asked to present identification which shows your name and the address at which you are registered to vote. It is not required that you present photo identification. Acceptable forms of identification include: a driver's license, state-issued ID card, recent utility bill, rent receipt, lease, a copy of a voter registration affidavit, or any other printed identification which contains your name and address.

As soon as you have completed the affirmation of current and continuous residence, you will be restored to the active voters list.

Not on the List of Voters:

If your name does not appear on the list of voters and your registration cannot be verified, you have the right to cast a provisional ballot. If you believe you registered to vote, but your name is not on the list, you should first make sure that you are in the correct polling place. If your polling place houses more than one precinct, check with the poll workers to be sure that you are in the correct line.

If you are in the correct precinct and your name is not on the list, ask the poll workers to contact city or town hall to confirm your registration. If you have moved within the same city or town and you are still registered to vote at a previous address, you should vote at the polling place where you appear on the list. State law allows you to vote from a previous address if you have moved within a municipality.

Your local election official may also check to see if you are registered in another city or town. If you have moved from one city or town to another municipality in Massachusetts, state law allows you to vote from your previous address.

If your registration is unable to be verified at the polling place, you may still cast a provisional ballot. A poll worker will instruct you to complete a provisional ballot affirmation, upon which you may provide details about where and when you registered.

Counting Provisional Ballots

State law requires that local election officials resolve all provisional ballots within 3 days of a state or presidential primary and within 12 days of a state or local election. All provisional ballots are investigated and those found to be cast by eligible voters are counted, no matter how close the election may be.

After Election Day, you may contact the Elections Division at 1-800-462-VOTE (8683) to determine the disposition of your ballot.

Now that you have all of the information you can make an educated vote next month. Enjoy the democratic process!

After all, there are millions of people around the world that are not able to have this privilege, and billions that have lost their lives fighting for the privilege of democracy.

Happy voting!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the sources as well as additional resources you could find to be useful:

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleifv/howreg.htm

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleinactivevoters/i...

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepovisionalballot...

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elemil/milidx.htm

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elevotingprocess/vo...

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleidreq/idrequirem...

http://www.rockthevote.com/get-informed/elections/...

https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleifv/howabs.htm