The Audition Of A Lifetime

The Audition Of A Lifetime

The greatest moment of my dancing career

19
The Audition Of A Lifetime
ppllabs.com

Just a few days before the trip, I found out that everyone who participated in the Ruth Page Dance Summer Intensive, located in Chicago, Illinois, would have the opportunity to audition for the Mandala Dance Company's Twinning Week in Rome, Italy. This meant that a group of Americans would go over to Italy for dance and a group of Italian dancers would come to America for one week. As I entered the room, I saw dancers stretching and talking in groups so I joined in. Right before we began the audition, I asked the people in the group if I should just wear a leotard and tights or a shirt over and instead of saying which option, one of the girls said "Just the leotard and tights, shirt over it makes you look short...well shorter". I was so angered by that comment, however, I knew it was nothing but Satan attempting to discourage me. I couldn't let that stop me from showing my God-given talent and possibly having an opportunity that I would never get again.

All the dancers were finished with their two rounds of auditioning the routine that was given to them by Paola Sorressa, the founder of the Mandala Dance Company in Rome, Italy. Next up, "Group 3" for our last turn to audition but something was different about the way we ended that time. After we're done with the routine, Ms. Paola yelled "improv!". I knew that this was my moment to shine. I had to differentiate myself from all the other dancers in that room so I did every move that my body was capable of doing while managing to look crazy. Halfway through, I actually thought I was about to pass out; I couldn't breathe. I guess you could say I was dancing for my life...literally. It was like my body was moving on its own and my brain had to catch up. I really was dancing from my heart...literally. However, I was still very aware of others around me. Whenever I go into a dance audition, my method is definitely weird. I dance to the best of my ability but still manage to see who my competition is, but that's not exactly a bad thing, because sometimes watching others makes you realize what you need to work on and maybe you can even learn something from your competition. That way, the next time it's your turn, you can be even better than you were the first time.

When my audition was over, I was very pleased with my performance. The only thing that was going through my head was: "What if I made the audition? What if this really happens? All the money and time my family has invested in me for dance has to count for something." After the audition, I walked out of the room to be surprised by my mother who I hadn't seen in three weeks. I attempted to give her a hug, but she rejected me because of how sweaty I was. Later, I went to take pictures with Ms. Paola for memories sake, not knowing if I would see her in the future. Then I said goodbye to everyone. My mother and I left the building to enjoy the rest of our day, at the Taste of Chicago, not knowing how proud we would be, when a month later, I would recieved an email with the title of "Congratulations".

-Alexa Monique