The Effects The Media Has On Men & Women

The media is hurting the world.

2749
Wise Geek

It is often easy to overlook the negative impact that the media has on how we feel about ourselves. With TV, the internet, social networks, magazines in every check-out isle, and posters in every store we shop in, it is impossible not to be drawn to the images of "perfect" people in society's eyes. We are taught through several forms of media how to dress, what brands to use, and how to look as well as act all around. Throughout the last couple of years, I have seen acknowledgments of this matter on social media. There are many complaints on how the media views women and how it affects us, but it's not just women, it's men too. Men and women are being portrayed by the media and the way it is portraying us is not OK.

Industries use models that are unachievable to look like without loads of beauty products, photo editing, and a flattering photo shoot. Why? To gain and maintain profit. Many different businesses post these false advertisements all over the media to destroy confidence in men and women around the globe. They use magazines, television, and the biggest threat, the internet. Once the confidence is gone and the insecurities begin, people are drawn to buy these products to look like the models in the advertisements. Women who are insecure about themselves are more likely to buy into these companies than men, fundamentally because there are more diet aids, beauty products, and fashion industries for women. But many men fall into the trap as well. The dieting industry is currently a $900 million global industry, the beauty industry is a $160 billion a year global industry, and the fashion industry is a $1.2 trillion global industry, $250 billion being spent yearly just in the U.S. 

People are victims to social network sites daily. Instagram has one of the strongest impacts on how people feel about themselves and others. With all of the celebrities, fitness accounts, and accounts that objectify men and women, it is impossible not to wanna look that good or be wanted. Social media such as Instagram creates social pressures all around the world. Everyone is expected to dress the same, look the same, act the same, and buy the same products. God forbid you don't follow the trends of the media in this clone world.

Companies around the globe all share one goal: Get people to buy into their business. Most companies will do whatever it takes to get consumers, even if that means destroying their confidence and happiness. I would have to say the worst offender to women is Victoria's Secret and the worst for men is Men's Health Magazine and for both men and women, Calvin Klein. These companies and many more set a standard for everyone to follow: be fit, be flawless, and you can be sexy.

It is a fact that women are the biggest victims of the epidemic. The biggest industries that manipulate are industries that pertain to women. But it's not just the industries and companies creating insecurities; celebrities have the biggest impact and they are even influencing young girls. Bella Thorne is a Disney channel star, a celebrity many young girls look up to and want to be. Thorne is constantly posting pictures of her body all over social media, guiding her followers to dress provocatively, base their lives around fitness, and put their bodies all over social media.

People often don't coincide men and insecurity. But men have feelings too! Women can be so wrapped up in how good looking men are, that they don't think about how guys feel when seeing a fit, flawless man all over the media. Just as women get jealous when seeing their men looking at sexy women in a movie, in a magazine, or on the internet, men get jealous seeing their women looking at a sexy man. Men's Health Magazine is full of confidence killers in men. Every month the magazine cover has a new fit man with a 6-pack and big arms with a story of how easy it is to be transformed to look perfect. It is a call to out of shape men, looking to be wanted by beautiful women. When the guy can't see results no matter how hard he tries, he gets upset, disappointed, and hates himself.

Two decades ago, the average model weighed 8% less than the average woman, and today’s models weigh 23 percent% less than the average women. Plus-size models weight has changed over the years as well. Just a decade ago, plus-size models were a size 12 to size 18, today models are labeled plus-sized starting at a size 6. It is a disgusting matter and it is influencing boys and girls at a younger age every year. Eating disorders are the third most common illness in girls by the time they become an adult. In a recent study using girls from the age of 8 to 12, 17% of them were vomiting up their food, used laxatives or diet pills to lose weight, or were starving themselves.

Exposure to images of skinny, air-brushed female bodies are in many cases linked to depression and loss of self-esteem in girls and boys. Most likely girls rather than boys, develop unhealthy eating habits and eating disorders. The messages that the media sends to men and women, girls and boys, about fitness, thinness, dieting, and enhancing products tells us we are in need of change and adjustment every day to become attractive. I have suffered from insecurity and jealousy myself from the media's manipulations. Males and females of all ages are affected, and it is just going to get worse.

Well, there isn't one specific solution to stop the problem. We as ordinary people can't control the media. But we can control how the media affects oursleves and our friends. We can unfollow those instagram accounts that post daily pictures of flawless men and/or women, we can stop falling for those obviously fake adveritisments, we can ignore those magazines and posters drawing your attention, and we can learn to love our imprefections. Follow role models that are your shape and size, follow people that share the same interests as you, think of cheaper and healthier alternantives to make yourself feel more confident, and look at that book in the isle instead of that magazine. Don't be envious of those models, just remember that they are covered in expensive products, are photoshopped, and are probably insecure about their true self as well.

The pressure on men and women to look and act a certain way that fits society's standards is disturbing. It is tragic how the media has such a negative impact on how we feel about ourselves and our peers. The ways and reasons companies use the media to make us buy their products is relentless! There shouldn't be a "perfect look", all body types, hair, and skin color should be equally beautiful. Take in what you have just read and decide for yourself, do you want to be perfect to society? or be perfectly imperfect to yourself and the people that matter.