Questioning Kavanaugh: 5 Fundamental Facts And Figures
News

"I had a few ideas for my Halloween costume this year, but, ladies, maybe we should all be characters from Handmaid's Tale, so we can get a feel for the rest of our lives if Brett Kavanaugh's appointed."

72
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnUfUaSlgwZ/?taken-by=judgekavanaugh
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Judge_Brett_Michael_Kavanaugh.jpg

Undeniably, there's a lot to talk about. Tiger Woods, previous center-of-attention for sex addiction and scandal, just won the PGA tour. Bill Cosby, former television star, was just sentenced to 3-10 years in prison. Brett Kavanaugh, accused of sexual misconduct, still has the potential to serve as a Supreme Court Justice. So, why Kavanaugh?

Yes, all three of these figures and their current status have a significant impact on human rights against sexual misconduct, but the Kavanaugh case will be cut apart here for the incredibly powerful effect it will have on America's future if Kavanaugh is to be elected. Let's dive in.

1. Who is Brett Kavanaugh? 

For those of us who aren't so up-to-date on politics, here's a little overview: Brett Kavanaugh is President Trump's nomination to serve as the 114th Justice of the Supreme Court. At 53 years old, he might be similar to your dad, or perhaps you can envision his younger self – a self that grew up in Maryland and attended the highly prestigious Yale University for both undergrad and law school. Professionally, Kavanaugh could be seen as a good choice, especially if you are Republican and/or a Trump supporter. For years Kavanaugh has served in government positions. Serving as a clerk for a previous Supreme Court Justice, in fact, the one he would be replacing, as an assistant to counsel, and as an associate counsel and staff secretary for President George W. Bush. As a member of the U.S. Court of Appeals, Kavanaugh has helped to settle more than 300 opinions, with a conservative consideration that is (Thank you to The Washington Post). Okay, so that's the background. Now, let's get into the beef.

2. Why did I write this, and why should you continue reading?

Well, in all fairness, I am not your average political junky. I hate to admit it, but it's very rare that I'm watching the news to catch up on the latest debate or checking my Twitter feed with the latest policy hate. So, why am I aware of this scenario with Kavanaugh? Ultimately, because it involves women's rights and sexual allegation. #fightforfemale. If you want to be more aware of Kavanaugh's situation and how it can affect America's future, I ask that you please keep reading. I'll take the time to say it now – this article scratches the surface. I hope these words encourage you to learn more, take more action, and understand Brett Kavanaugh's conservative position and the effect it could serve up.

3. What is really going on here?

It was this past summer, July 9 to be exact, that Trump released his nomination – Brett Kavanaugh – for the Supreme Court. With the news of this nomination, the first accuser, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, presented a letter to the head Democrat senator on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Initially, Ford asked to remain anonymous. After agreeing to interview and making her name known, many opinions came forth about Ford, her accusations, and Kavanaugh's role in the alleged act of sexual misconduct. A vast majority of heard opinions centered around thinking that Ford was merely a wholly left-sided individual with an agenda to spite President Donald Trump. Within less than two weeks' time, two other females came forward accusing Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct.

4. What are the facts of the alleged acts of sexual misconduct? 

Remember…innocent until proven guilty. Ford's allegations were centered around a high school nightmare. Ford admitted that at a party, "a drunken Kavanaugh pinned her down on a bed at a high school house party and tried to remove her clothes while holding his hand over her mouth to stop her from screaming" (USA Today). Ms. Deborah Ramirez made the second accusation, stating that Kavanaugh exposed himself to her at a dorm party during their shared time at Yale University. Not only did he show himself, but he also was within inches of her face. The third fearless female came forward just a few days later. Julie Swetnick, who also attended high school with Kavanaugh, made declarations that Kavanaugh was involved with numerous cases where "women were verbally abused, inappropriately touched, made "disoriented" with alcohol or drugs and 'gang raped'" (USA Today). Other classmates denied such actions coming from Kavanaugh in his high school days; nevertheless, the accusations still stand. All in all, Kavanaugh isn't backing down and Trump isn't forgetting his choice.

5. Why is it important and how can Kavanaugh affect our future? 

My friend granted me permission to quote her recent Facebook post explaining her feels for Kavanaugh: "I had a few ideas for my Halloween costume this year, but, ladies, maybe we should all be characters from Handmaid's Tale, so we can get a feel for the rest of our lives if Brett Kavanaugh's appointed lol." Kavanaugh's selection as a Supreme Court Justice could mean taking many steps backward for women, their confidence, and their rights.

Whether there are no other allegations or one hundred more, why take the chance? Kavanaugh's character is already in question. If elected to the Supreme Court, Kavanaugh will most likely endanger the ability for people to fight against their rights against sexual misconduct in the future.