The ABCs Of UNG

The ABCs Of UNG

The good ol' Miltary College of Georgia

275
The ABCs Of UNG
Charlotte McDonnold Photography

A is for Army

The Military school of Georgia. 10% of the student body is part of the Corps.

B is for Bonita Jacobs

President of the University of North Georgia.

C is for Chow

Everyone knows the name of our lovely dining hall. Chow gets many mixed reviews, but it is the only dining hall on the Dahlonega campus so we make it work.

D is for Dogs

There's always at least one dog on the drill field. Dogs are welcome on our campus and highly encouraged for stress relief.

E is for Events

Every year we host a concert. Spring and Fall we have spring and fall jam with carnival rides on the drill field. And all throughout the year, there are movies on the drill field at night.

F is for Field

The drill field is the center of campus and is used for intermural sports and a field for the army to practice drills on. Occassionally, there are even helicopters landing in the middle of it.

G is for Greek

UNG has the best Greek organization. All the sororities and fraternities work together to support one another's events. THere are no houses in Dahlonega for the chapters so all our meetings are held on campus.

H is for Hiking

Located in Dahlonega, Georgia at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. You can hike a different trail every day if you wanted to.

I is for International Trips

The Center for Global Engagement offers numerout study abroad trips. Many students study in other countries while completing their undergrad degree.

J is for Jacked-up Trucks

So many jacked trucks. And Jeeps.

K is for Kindness

Every person you pass around the drill field smiles or speaks. Everyone gets along and treats others with respect.

L is for Location

An hour up 400 and an hour and a half from Atlanta. Dahlonega is just far enough away to escape for awhile.

M is for Mountains

Mountains surround our beautiful campus of UNG. Sunrises and sunsets never cease to amaze us.

N is for Nigel the Nighthawk

UNG's lovely mascot, Nigel the Nighthawk!

O is for Organizations

If you want to get involved on campus, there are many things to choose from. From Greek life and Arts Guild to intermural sports and writing clubs, anybody can find something to get involved in.

P is for Price Memorial

The gold steeple. The true landmark of UNG

Q is for Quick

You can always tell when someone has a class up the HNS hill that they're late for. The heavy breathing is the first sign followed by the awkward sprinting up the oddly spaced stairs of the HNS building.

R is for Rifles

The rifle team has won several honors, representing UNG with pride.

S is for School Spirit

We may not have a football team, but we know how to show some school spirit.

T is for Tradition

Tradition is what makes UNG stand out. From our drill field in the center of campus to the 5:00 PM Retreat, we hold our traditions high and proud.

U is for University

UNG is safely nestled under the wing of the University of Georgia System. This means we get more funding and get to share services such as libraries with all University of Georgia System schools, broadening our resources and bettering our education.

V is for Various Programs

UNG offers 129 different majors and degrees. If you come in as a freshman undecided, that's perfectly ok! You will find the program you enjoy, I promise.

W is for Weather

One minute, it can be sunny and nice outside. And in the blink of an eye, it's pouring rain. You learn to carry an umbrella with you wherever you go because you never know.

X is for X Marks Your Spot

We all have that perfect study spot. Whether it's in the basement of Stewart, the Great Room in Hoag or the library, we all have that perfect X Marks the spot to get our studying done.

Y is for Young Hall

The lecture hall next to Price Memorial. Home to lectures during the day, chapter meetings for Greek organizations at night.

Z is for Zzzz

There is always somebody lounging on the drill field catching a quick nap between classes. But we've all been there, so no judgement. Just nods of respect as we walk on by.

Check out the two articles that inspired mine

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/the-abcs-of-aubur...

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/the-abcs-of-the-u...