The ABCs Of WVU

To Every Freshman Mountaineer, These Are The ABCs Of WVU

Let's go...MOUNTAINEERS!

361

With school starting up again, I think it's about time we run down through some of the essentials of Morgantown and WVU, and what better way than the alphabet?

A: Almost Heaven

If you're reading this, do I even have to explain this one?

B: Blue Parrot 

Advertised as Morgantown's "hottest" Gentleman's Club, the Blue Parrot is iconic for its persistent hiring signs and generally trashy aesthetic. While I've never been (and, honestly, do not know a single person who has, either), it's definitely a Morgantown staple.

C: Country Roads

"..Take me home
To the place I belong.
West Virginia, mountain mama,
Take me home, country roads..."

The song of Morgantown, WVU, and West Virginia as a whole.

D: Dadisman Hall

Built in only God knows when, Dadisman holds its ground as one of the older dormitories at WVU. Unlike a fine wine, Dadisman has not gotten better with age and is known for being one of the most undesirable dorms on campus. One of the memories that sticks with me from my freshman year is sitting in a room in Dadisman that was well above 80 degrees, with about 10 other people, drinking Burnett's mixed with warm Hawaiian Punch. If that doesn't describe Dadisman in a sentence, I don't know what does.

E: Evansdale Crossing

One of the newer additions to campus, Evansdale Crossing works as a Student Union for those living on the Evansdale campus. Featuring eateries like Panini Pete's, Hugh Baby's, Waldo's Chicken, and more, Crossing is a hotspot for those living in Evansdale dorms and with classes on Evansdale.

F: Flying WV Cookies

Any student of WVU recognizes the iconic flying WV cookie, handed out at nearly every student event that happens. The light sugar cookie is an easy and delicious snack for any student to enjoy.

G: Global

Due to the presence of WVU, Morgantown is truly representative cultures, ethnicities, and religions from around the world. You can walk 20 feet from where you are and find someone from across the globe. The experience of living in Morgantown is unlike any other.

H: Hail, West Virginia!

Our beloved fight song, "Hail, West Virginia!" is sung at every football and is a favorite of students and alum alike. In the words of the song, "It's West Virginia, now we cheer!"

I: ID Card

A student's ID card is essential to everyday life in Morgantown. Whether it be a PRT or bus ride, a meal swipe at the Mountainlair, or being able to take a midterm or final, your ID is definitely something to have with you at all times. In addition to this, your ID is almost a sign of status. WVU ID designs change every so often, and when they do, spotting a freshman becomes notably easier. Seniors and fifth-years pride themselves in their old IDs.

J: J.A.C.S.

Loved by many, J.A.C.S. is the convenience store/coffee shop that takes up residence in the Mountainlair. Whether you need a scantron, a snack, a pepperoni roll, or a quick pick-me-up, J.A.C.S. has your back. I could not count the number of times I've stopped there between classes for whatever I needed. J.A.C.S. is easily one of my favorite quick stops on campus.

K: Kroger

Probably one of the most popular (if not the most popular) grocery store in Morgantown, Kroger is an essential for students and families alike. With two locations, including one right beside Towers (dubbed "Kro-Ghetto") and one in Suncrest Town Center (dubbed "Kro-Gucci"), Kroger has everything you need from quinoa and sushi to beer and bread.

L: Liquor

Being named the #2 party school in the nation (we're coming for your spot, Tulane), it's no secret that a WVU student indulges in some libations from time to time (or every weekend... Same thing). Liquor is loved by many and also hated by many after a long night with one or two too many shots. Whether your liquor store of choice is Ashbrooke or BFS, you'll find what you need in Morgantown.

M: Milan Puskar Stadium

WVU football games are without a doubt the highlight of the average student's fall semester. From tailgating to the student section to our amazing football team, football games are an experience unlike any other. In addition, our iconic football stadium can fit around 60,000 people and is a landmark of Morgantown.

N: Nightlife

Every weekend (and some week days), the students of WVU come out for a night of dancing, partying, and getting belligerent. Again, being the #2 party school in the nation, we in Morgantown pride ourselves on our ability to turn up, turn out, and have a good time. Whether your prefer the clubs, a frat party, or a house party, you'll find something with ease.

O: Off-Campus Housing

While some students do live in dorms and university-owned housing, many choose to live in off-campus housing, scattered all around Morgantown. Many quaint, nice, and beautiful houses and apartments can be found, perfect for students. However, you also have to be safe and make sure you know what you're getting into. I know more than a few people who have had to perform an "Extreme Makeover: Morgantown Edition" on their homes, due to the less-than-desirable conditions.

P: Pepperoni Rolls

If ya know, ya know.

Q: Quidditch

Did you know that WVU has its own Quidditch team?! This club sport team has weekly practices and plays a mean game of Quidditch, and also is the only official Quidditch team in the State of West Virginia!

R: Rifle Team

West Virginia University's Rifle Team is not only award-winning, but is the Great America Rifle Conference (GARC) regular-season champion for five years in a row, and for the 11th time in the program's history. We have a lot of pride for our rifle team and cheer them on as we roll into a new school year!

S: Sheetz

Whether you need a fairly average morning coffee or have a hankering for some mac and cheese bites at 2 A.M. after going out, Sheetz is always the answer. Though the Wawa vs. Sheetz argument has strong opinions on both ends, I think we all know who the clear winner is. Sheetz is a Morgantown staple and enjoyed by 70-year-old men and college students alike.

T: Tudor's Biscuit World

Though this breakfast chain is normal for some, anyone coming from a place without a Tudor's will be in for a shock when you grab some food. With delicious biscuits, killer breakfast food, and sweet tea that is actually addictive, Tudor's is my favorite breakfast spot by far.

U: University Avenue

Arguably the most important road in Morgantown, University Avenue runs through the heart of campus. Stretching from Downtown to Evansdale, University Avenue features essential WVU spots like the Mountainlair, Sheetz, U Club and U Place, McDonald's, and the library. A walk down University Avenue is a surefire way to find something to do.

V: Views

With some of the most beautiful sights to be seen across the country, Morgantown's views are truly unbeatable. Whether you're into a mountain range, a sunset, some fall leaves, or waterfalls, Morgantown has your back.

W: Woodburn Hall

I mean, come on.

X: eXtra Curricular Activities

WVU offers an incredible amount of activities across campus, so there's something for everyone. From Greek life to guitars to gaming to pretty much anything you can think of, WVU's got it.

Y: Your Favorite Place To Be

If you've ever lived in Morgantown, you truly know that country roads will always take you home. It's no secret that Morgantown is loved and adored by all of its occupants, students and families alike. Living in "Almost Heaven" is as good as it can get.

Z: Zip-line

Did you know that WVU has its own zip-line?! The university prides itself on its vast amount of outdoor activities and opportunities, including its state-of-the-art zip-line course!