The ABC's Of Being A History Major

The ABC's Of Being A History Major

Everything being a history major entails - in ABC form!

11
black and white photo lot

A: A lot of reading

B: Boring party stories about the Civil War and the Roman Empire

C: Countless "fun" facts that most people really don't think are all that fun

D: Dreadful amounts of historical accounts of every event that ever happened

E: Enough questions to last you a lifetime, like what are you going to do with a history degree?

F: Fair arguments that you are able to participate in with historical evidence to back your claims (Yes, nerdy, but very convenient!)

G: Guidelines (for assignments) that give no explanation into what the professor is expecting

H: Hilarious knowledge you never would've known happened in history

I: I love confusing my biology major friends with history jargon

J: Just being a history major gets you numerous questions

K: "Kind" (not so kind) comments about how you'll "find a job in some industry" regardless of being a history major

L: Lots of questions about if movie events are historically accurate

M: Mindless conversation about uprisings and events that you never thought you'd have

N: Not many people can say they are a history major (Take that STEM majors)

O: Opportunities to explore more areas of personal interest

P: People are often peaked with interest by history majors

Q: Quite the standout character when you're in a competitive pool for something, like a job or graduate school

R: Respect from STEM majors who hate history

S: Savvy comments that can last a lifetime - literally, they're based off of history

T: The ability to critically think is usually quite obvious to other unrelated majors

U: Unlimited amount of opportunities when it comes to jobs, except for being a doctor. I do not recommend going to medical school with a Bachelors degree in history.

V: Variety of talking points for all occasions! You'll never have a dry conversation (unless you consider talking about the peasant uprisings during the Black Death dry, then, maybe)

W: World events are often times easier to understand for us

X: I can't think of any normal words that begin with X apart from X-rays, which history majors sadly cannot typically read

Y: You can shape your future goals and study what you are truly fascinated by more than any other major

Z: Zeal is one of your key characteristics if you decide to weather the storm as a history major, so keep it up!