The 5 Things You Need To Keep Life Organized

School, work and a social life can make life pretty busy, here are five things sure enough to keep you on top of things and organized.
16

The time of year has come once again. Everyone for the most part has started school and has been at for a couple of weeks now. This time in the semester is crucial in learning how to keep your life organized before it gets too crazy. Some of us have already developed a system to do so, some of us are trying different things to see what works best and then there are some of us who have tried to get organized but have already given up. If you are like me, then you want an easy and fast way to get and stay organized. Below is a quick, easy and effective way to get organized and all you need are these five simple things:

1. Colored pens/markers...

Color coding is key to organization. Find multiple different colors and assign each class, activity, job etc. a color. This makes it easier to see what you have to do for each thing, rather than deciphering through a blob of one color. It also makes your calendar fun and full of pretty colors, which is way better than a boring old calendar.

2. An agenda book/planner...

You can use your planner to mainly focus on school. Make sure to write down each assignment that is due. College is nice, because with a syllabus you usually know what the class is about before it even starts. I find it best to go through month to month and write the assignments in. Take a few minutes at the beginning of each month to write down what is due that month for each class. This means you save time doing that each week and you can use that time to do actual work instead. Don't forget about the color coding mentioned above!

3. A Calendar...

Whether it be a desk calendar or a wall calendar, a calendar is key. This is the main hub for all your going-on's. Make sure that the spaces are big enough to write in a decent amount of information. Use the calendar to keep track of everything as a whole. It may seem redundant but it helps to write down assignments on the calendar as well as in your planner. That way when you write in your activities, work etc. you have an overview of what lies a head of you for the week. You probably will glance at your calendar more times a day than your planner, so it will serve as a better reminding tool.

4. A to-do list...

This can be come in many different forms. In the past I have used an old notebook to make my to-do lists, but recently have transformed an old clipboard with post-it notes into my to-do list. Whatever it may be, it is helpful to make sure that you will be able to fit fit the whole week on there. The to-list will lay out the weeks work ahead of you. At the beginning of the week review everything that you have to do for the week, and make sure you have clear idea of what you have to do for school, work, your social life and other activities. With this in mind assign what work has to be done each day. For example, math is due Tuesday so you should plan to do that Monday and history is not do until Thursday, so that doesn't need to be done until Wednesday. This way you can prioritize what needs to be done and when, and you can feel accomplished when you cross things off. ,

5. Whiteboard...

The whiteboard can be where you write down anything important that you need to remember. I often make a list on my board of all of the things that I need to do, such as chores and things I need to pick up or buy. The whiteboard acts like a filter and catches anything that doesn't need to go on the calendar or in the planner. It is where simple tasks and the grocery list belong. It also helps to sometimes write a motivational quote of the week on the whiteboard or even just to write down something so you don't forget.

These are the five things, when used together make for an easy and efficient system to stay organized and keep track of your life. It makes it easier to not forget and helps to ensure everything gets done on time. I hope that these tips help and wish you the best of luck with your semester.