In a world where hooking up is the new norm, I'm here to counter a societal thesis with this statement: relationships are not dead! Being in a relationship with someone you love (or hey, maybe you're at the Carly Rae Jepsen "I really really really really really really like you" stage,) is, quite simply, a gift. Some relationships are better than others (hence we've got the ex-factor going on for some people,) but at the end of the day, finding yourself a person who makes you happy is a truly indescribable feeling. I'm no love guru, but here are 13 elements that I truly believe contribute to a bitchin' relationship.

1. You Order Whatever You Want

On my first date with my boyfriend, I devoured a cheeseburger, and from that moment on, I knew it was love.

2. You Take Turns Paying Or Splitting The Bill

Discussing your college-brokeness should be something that both parties understand. Switching off paying for dinner or splitting the check takes some pressure off both of you.

3. You Get Each Other's Sense Of Humor

Where is the fun in hanging out with someone if you can't spend your day cracking each other up?

4. You Have Different Interests

There's absolutely nothing interesting about dating yourself- so it's really cool to date someone whose interests vary slightly from yours.

5. You Listen To Each Other

Listening to each other is a key element to the equation: it allows you to learn and grow with each other.

6. You're Not Afraid To Speak Up

If something bothers you, you've got to find the courage to say something. Being in a relationship gives you the means to talk about what you're feeling when you're feeling that way.

7. You Make Each Other Super Happy

This one is pretty self-explanatory.

8. You're Both Supportive Of Each Other

You're both genuinely pumped when the other accomplishes something, or offer endless support when things don't go as planned.

9. You Kiss Each Other All Day Err Day

Oh just one of the many perks.

10. You Hang Out With Each Other's Friends

Friends 5ever.

11. You Have Just As Much Fun Staying In As You Do Going Out

Movies, cuddles, and lots and lots of takeout.

12. You're Always Honest

You can always rely on them to tell you the truth.

13. You're 100% Your Weird Selves Around Each Other

Just do you thang, girl.