The #1 Essential To Bring To College

The #1 Essential To Bring To College

Are you prepared?
9

Packing up my life is not easy. What do I bring? What do I leave?

What is the biggest essential that cannot be left behind? My favorite pair of jeans? A framed picture of my family? A microwave oven and mini fridge? Oh, wait no...my computer and phone?

So many items, objects, devices, gadgets, and belongings seem essential to making it in college.

There is, however, a number one. What takes first place?

Moving into college is exciting and scary. There are thousands of new people, hundreds of different opportunities, and seemingly uncountable unknowns and fears. It seems as though preparing to move across the state or across the country entails making a long list of "must-haves" and checking them off the list. This prepares us materialistically but emotionally we find ourselves lost, intimidated, or caught off guard.

They key is packing our mind full of treasures and necessities rather than packing our suitcases.

We need encouragement, support, accountability partners, passion, joy, patience, etc. These qualities we are searching for can be hard to find. That is where we need the help of that "number one essential to bring to college." We need intention.

Now you may be thinking, "intention? That is the answer to all my problems? That is the most important thing I need for college?"

I would argue yes.

We need intention to meet our expectations and dreams in life. We need to intentionally surround ourselves with what we need in order to realize our full potentials and make us happy. Without intention we run around expecting the world to somehow respond to our wants and needs and provide for us.

Rather than making friends that are convenient we need to seek out friendships that are real and lasting. Rather than walking into classes and going through the motions we need to intentionally prepare our minds to contain information that will help us in our careers. Instead of expecting the excitement of college to keep us happy beyond the first few weeks of school we must discover the ways in which we can bring joy to our lives and intentionally take time for ourselves. Instead of expecting that relationships with family members and childhood friends back at home will remain strong we must intentionally seek out time to connect with them. We must also be intentional about the clubs and activities we choose to engage in. Rather than participating in opportunities that simply give us things to do and fill our schedules, we need to realize that with intention we can be involved in activities that fuel our passions.

It is important to remember your favorite jeans. It is important to remember your Macbook and iPhone.

This new chapter in life, however, does not only challenge us to be prepared physically. This new chapter in life challenges us to grow into the people we desire to become.

Intention puts us at the trail head that ultimately leads to the view of ourselves we want to be one day. I encourage you to start the hike.