That Awkward Week Before Break

That Awkward Week Before Break

Composed of many awkward moments and powered by less sleep and more caffeine than you could ever imagine

123
That Awkward Week Before Break
Wallpaper Abyss - Alpha Coders

That awkward moment when you’re in college so anything awkward can happen anytime! Whether it would be a big change in weather (*cough* this winter *cough*) or just a flamboyant group of people having their own kind of fun on campus during a regular sunny day, college is definitely the place for a change of pace.

The real change of pace occurs right before and during rare, much needed breaks - specifically the fall and spring breaks. If college is usually known as a time of excessive stress, sleep deprivation, and caffeine consumption, it is taken to a whole new level right before break! Before I started college and work, I would have never imagined that I could go 20 consecutive hours without sleep or that I could easily down an energy drink or Starbucks coffee in a short amount of time (being caffeine sensitive and all), but having traveled overseas every summer and winter break in addition to being an Information Technology major, I learned that it is more than possible to go that long without sleep, and that you will become absolutely biased when it comes to energy drinks and mochas (Nos energy and salted caramel Starbucks mocha for the win).

Although it may be awkward and stressful, I must say that losing sleep for that 4 AM workshift or flight to and from Germany to see family (how I learned the true definition of jet lag) is worthwhile preparation for the real world. I remember ending last semester by pulling an all nighter working on a paper at the library (my ultimate getaway, specifically the third floor) and then relaxing a few hours before a 4 AM shift. Was is a change of pace? Yes. Was I exhausted? Yes. However, I was also extremely proud that I had finished the semester on a good note and that I was able to watch the sunrise and sleep after work before treating myself to a night with my buddies. (Tip: If you are too stressed to work, just start packing as soon as you can...it’s really not that hard as long as you know what you need and it is a great stress reliever)!

Everything about the week before break is unreal. The stress, the work, the motivation that gradually increases due to the realization that there is a break, and the alone time in the dorms due to most students leaving early (I’ve always preferred traveling on weekends). However, with a little help from caffeine, the library, Apple Music, and close friends, the week before a much needed break to recharge can easily be the most unusual, productive, and fun week that you can have in a while