We're All Here For Christmas, But Don't Slack On Thanksgiving

Yes, there's a holiday in between Halloween and Christmas.

6
Buffet-style spread with person in plaid shirt taking food
Craig Adderley on pexels.com

Now that spooky season is sadly over, everyone immediately busts out Christmas music, sweaters, decorations, the whole nine yards. Many stores have already had their Christmas items on display along with the Halloween decor. However, people forget that there is still a holiday in between the two and it is one of my favorite ones out there.

Thanksgiving.

Or as I like to call it, the Three F's: food, family, and football, not necessarily in that order.

I know that if I'm traveling to a family member's home or if Thanksgiving is hosted at my house, there always will be large spread of turkey, broccoli casserole, mashed potatoes, and more. It's kind of an unspoken rule that you're not supposed to eat until the ~ big meal ~ and until then, you live off of hors d'oeuvres like cheese and crackers or shrimp. There will be soup and salad (my family is a fan of french onion because who isn't?) beforehand with desserts galore at the end. An assortment of pies, cookies, delights, and fresh-brewed coffee to top it all off in your stomach. You may feel like you need to go the gym everyday for a straight month afterwards, but who could resist? Thanksgiving vegan recipes are also a thing so vegans won't have to feel left out of the food fun! And the leftovers? You'll be eating Thanksgiving sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for up to two weeks. Pro tip: make sure your Thanksgiving outfit includes loose-fitting pants like leggings or a cotton skirt. Stay away from the denim because you will have a food baby and you will want to unbutton at the dinner table.

Another amazing thing about the holiday is that the family gets together and while some may not verbally express it, you're thankful for one another. When we host at my house, we have to put two leaves into our regular dining room table because of all the people that will be sitting and not to mention all of the food going as well. Just hope that you don't get a corner seat because then you'll be bumping elbows on both sides. Whether they're coming from a couple blocks over or all the way across country, it's a time for loved ones to get together and enjoy. I do recommend not bringing up politics at the table because it will cause migraines and perhaps a food fight.

While football may not be a huge thing in your family or where you're from, my family lives and breathes football, especially if it's on Thanksgiving. Almost all of the time, my parents are decked out in their favorite team's gear and Thanksgiving is no exception. We all sit on the couch (except for the ones preparing the meal, sorry) and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in the morning and as soon as football comes on, we change the channel. It's kinda like the Super Bowl but with multiple games, mediocre commercials, and fall food. What's not to love?

You just can't get any better than Thanksgiving.

While I also am a sucker for the holiday season and maybe guilty of celebrating a tad too early, Thanksgiving comes around first chronologically so it is my priority until the day is over. Plus, how could one skip right over a holiday so great? I do admit it is a tradition in my family to put up the Christmas tree and decorations on Black Friday while listening to the Mariah Carey Christmas album. What? It's after Thanksgiving, even if it is just a day.