Poetry On Odyssey: What Are You Thankful For?
Friendships

What are you really thankful for?

35
Photo by Carl Attard from Pexels
What are you thankful for?
Really, what are you thankful for?
Are you thankful for the time that you spend with friends,
Or are you thankful for the friends that you have?
Are you thankful for the time that you spend with family,
Or are you thankful for the family that you have?
What are you thankful for?
Really, what are you thankful for?
Are you thankful for the ones that risked their lives for our freedom,
Or are you thankful for the freedom that you have?
Are you thankful for the ones that prepared the meals in front of you,
Or are you thankful for the meals that you have?
What are you thankful for?
Really, what are you thankful for?
Are you thankful for the beautiful sights that you see every day,
Or are you thankful that you woke up this morning?
Are you thankful for the dreams you had last night,
Or are you thankful that you can rest peacefully once more?
What are you thankful for?
Really, what are you thankful for?
Are you thankful for the people that provided the roof over your head,
Or are you thankful for the shelter you have?
Are you thankful for the people that sewed every stitch on the clothing that you wear,
Or are you thankful for the shirt you just bought?
What are you thankful for?
Really, what are you thankful for?
Are you thankful for the ones that brought you into existence,
Or are you thankful that you exist?
Are you thankful for the people that provide your education every day,
Or are you thankful that you get to have an education?
What are you thankful for?
Really, what are you thankful for?
Are you thankful for the glowing lights that allow you to see when it's dark outside,
Or are you thankful that you can see?
Are you thankful for the people that provided you the warmth and safety of your heavy coat,
Or are you thankful that you don't have to freeze when you walk outside?
What are you thankful for?
Really, what are you thankful for?
When you were younger, what were you thankful for?
Were you thankful for life, for sight, for shelter-
Or were you thankful for the expensive gifts that you would get for your birthday?
Were you thankful for the pretty things in life -
Or were you thankful for the fact that you were able to walk the next morning?
When you look at the children in this generation,
Do you ever look at them and wonder how you were ever like them?
Or do you smile and nod your head as you watch them walk by?
When you think about being thankful, what does your mind jump to first?
When you think about what you would miss if you left it all behind,
What do you miss most?
Family?
Friends?
Food?
Warmth?
Shelter?
Life?
What would you miss most?
What could you never live without?
What are you thankful for?
Really,
What are you thankful for?