Meet the Reporter: What I am thankful for

A series where the audience gets to know the ASU Odyssey reporters

24
Patricia Vicente

During this holiday season, The Odyssey Online at ASU reporters want you to get to know us! Enjoy this holiday-themed post and learn what we are thankful for!

----------------------------

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for many things in my life. However, I have a dynamic trio that has really helped me get through the past year and I know will only continue to help me more!

School

Michael Gutnick

- I don't care how boring or "nerdy" this might sound, but I am extremely grateful for the education I get to receive at ASU and Cronkite. Not many people get to pursue a higher education and I think it's important for us to take advantage of it and be appreciative of what we get to do, even if it's as simple as "showing up to class." As a first-generation student, this is something I am grateful for every single day because I know I'm not just going to school for myself, but also for my parents, who work their asses off to allow me to pursue a career I genuinely enjoy and attend a school that I can do it at, even if I am a couple of hundred miles away. I get to work with some of the best peers in the industry, on some of the best equipment from anywhere within the college and professional realm and I'm being taught by some of the best current and former journalists in the industry I want to go into. It truly does not get better than that.

Opportunities

Ricky Cornish

- If you have ever heard me talk about my life the past three years, then you know I have had a wide array of opportunities that I will never shut up about. Some of these professional and academic opportunities have seen me land my dream internship as my first internship in college, has seen me be the ultimate tourist in Washington D.C. when I wasn't speaking to students about my amazing J-school and have seen me be the happiest ever while achieving my dreams. I am happy as a professional, student and as a person because of these opportunities and I really wouldn't trade them for anything.

Family

Vanessa Ramirez

- This might be a cheesy one, but it's one that is definitely a truthful thank you. I'm privileged enough to have a family to go home to every holiday season, and any other time besides that, which is not what many can say. There might be times when I take my family for granted, but as time goes on, I realize that it is okay to take them for granted as long as I let them know how appreciative I am of them. As I enter my last calendar year in college, I am remembered just how much love I have and how many people I have rooting for me when I want to give up or when I have a rough day. This even goes beyond my blood relatives; it goes out to my family friends and the support system I have in Arizona and my co-workers at my jobs and internships that want to see me succeed.

While I only named three big groups, there are dozens of people within these groups that I am thankful for. I am thankful for them making me into the woman I am today and showing me endless love.