A Thank You To Virginia Tech

A Thank You To Virginia Tech

For the people, the food, and a place to call home.

96
A Thank You To Virginia Tech
Ivan Morozov

As I officially crossed over from being a student of the Hokie Nation to being an alum, I felt compelled to share with the world the gratitude I feel for Virginia Tech. And while my words could never do it justice, I could not imagine leaving Blacksburg without at least trying to express just how much this incredible university means to me and so many other Hokies out there. So here goes: Thank you, Virginia Tech…

For introducing some of the world’s smartest, most genuine, and kindest people into my life. Looking back on my four years, I couldn’t imagine being who I am today without each and every single one of them. They’ve become some of my greatest friends, mentors, and supporters. They’ve taught me some of life’s greatest lessons. They’ve given me strength when I’ve been at my weakest. They’ve given me hope when my world felt as if it were crashing around me. They’ve given me love when I least deserve to be loved. They’ve believed in me when I couldn’t bear to believe in myself. They’ve built the foundation that has allowed me to reach for excellence and strive for my dreams.

For spoiling me with the nation’s greatest dining hall foods. While this didn’t exactly prepare me to live and cook on my own, at least I didn’t go hungry during my years in undergrad. But it isn’t just the food that I’m grateful for. I’m also grateful for the many deep (and light) conversations had over meals that took place in the busy hours of Turner or the bustling of West End. Food brings people together, and I was lucky enough to have the best food bring together some of the best people.

For teaching me that it’s okay to fail – as long as you find the courage to get back up. We won’t always be good at everything we do or try, and we will face rejection every now and again. But Virginia Tech, you have taught me that it is perfectly okay to fail from time to time, but you cannot let that failure define you. You have taught me how to learn from each failure and come back stronger than ever before. You have taught me to persevere through challenging times. But most importantly, you have taught me that my failures will not define my worth or who I am.

For helping me find my purpose on campus. As one of 25,000 undergraduate students, it was hard for me to believe that I would ever be able to leave my mark on this campus. But somehow, Virginia Tech led me and thousands of other students to their passions. Whether that was through Relay For Life, The Big Event, joining a fraternity or sorority, participating in the Ring Tradition, or starting a new student organization, it’s incredible how we are all able to leave campus knowing that we made a positive difference in someone else’s life, leaving campus a little bit better than when we first got here.

For giving me a true sense of community. In my four years, I never could have imagined being a part of something so much greater than myself. Virginia Tech, the community you provide to your students, faculty, and staff is one that is indescribable. This community has never once failed to offer love and support for a member in need. This community has never once failed to come together in times of hardship and tragedy. This community has never once failed to prove that, even in all of the negativity in the world, good things come out of adversity.

For teaching me to embrace Ut Prosim – That I May Serve as a way of life. There is no other university in the world that truly lives out their university’s motto each and every day. Throughout my time as a student, I’ve learned that even the smallest of acts will be of service to someone else. Whether that’s holding the door for a stranger walking into a dining hall, offering a genuine smile to someone you pass on the Drillfield, participating in a full day of service for the Blacksburg community, or being a part of the nation’s largest collegiate Relay For Life. Everything that we set out to do as students is done with Ut Prosim in the back of our minds. And as we head out into the real world and onto the next chapter of our lives, we all know what it means to serve others selflessly and wholeheartedly.

For giving me a place to call my forever home. I can’t tell you the exact moment that I first called Virginia Tech “home,” but what I can tell you is that Virginia Tech has never felt like anything other than home to me – and for many other Hokies. It’s the place where you can meet a stranger and feel as though you’ve known them for your whole life. It’s the place where you can step on campus for the first time in days, weeks, months, years and feel as though you’ve never left. It’s the place where you can trust that the Hokie spirit you experienced and cherish will live on for years to come. It’s the place where you know you can always come back home to.

For giving me some of the best four years at the greatest university in the world. For giving me something that is so incredibly difficult to say goodbye to. For giving me the opportunity to open up my heart to you, and for loving and accepting me just the way I am.

Thank you, Virginia Tech.