Thank You Mom and Dad, From Your College Student

I have the best parents ever, hands down.

14
Emily Remark

I try to tell my parents thank you every day for all that they do. But recently, I’ve realized that this is not enough. What I’m trying to say, is that ever since I started my college career, I don't think I’ve fully grasped the sacrifices my parents have made for me all these years. I hope that one day, I will be able to do all that my parents have for my children.

So mom and dad, this one’s for you.

Thank you for making me study and do my homework all these years when I certainly did not want to. Thank you for pushing me to take harder classes than I maybe could handle, and for believing that I could keep up with them. Thank you for helping me look at colleges and pick the right one. I had no idea how many parents just let their kids figure this out on their own. But you both were different. You took me on a tour of every school I was interested in, and even opened my eyes to schools I had never thought of. You encouraged me to apply, and even if I didn’t believe in myself, you both believed in me. You helped me with endless hours of applications, mostly when I had no idea what I was doing.

Thank you for working hard at your jobs throughout the years to help me have the money to go college. Thank you for planning for me so many years in advance, just so I wouldn’t struggle coming out. You never will know how much that meant to me. Thank you for sticking up for me when people question my major. You helped me find a path I felt comfortable on, even when I thought college may not be for me. People constantly ask me why I am doing what I’m doing, but you both know why. You both know my dreams, hopes, and fears and help me to accomplish and overcome them. I know that I will never fail, because I have you both cheering me on. And even if I do, you will help pick me up, dust me off, and keep on trying.

On move-in day my freshman year of college, I looked around at other families just throwing their kids into the mix. But you both didn’t. You made sure I had everything I needed to succeed, and you never stopped worrying about me when you went home without me in tow. You went to Wal-mart a million times during orientation buying me everything I could possibly need for my dorm. People may have thought we were crazy that weekend, but I felt so grateful to have you as my parents. Thank you for crying with me when things went wrong, and for laughing and smiling with me when they went right.

Thank you for letting me know you care about everything I do. Sometimes you may think you’re annoying me, but you never are. It means the whole world to me that you care. I don’t think I will ever be able to repay you for that, but I will constantly try my best.

Thank you mom and dad, for your love and support. You both are an inspiration and a blessing to me, and I hope that I am half the parent you are some day. I honestly could not do college without you.