A Thank You Letter To The Many That Have Helped

You have changed me.

11
Shaunt Max 30

This letter is dedicated every single human being who has helped me.

Whether that was improving my acting skills, soccer, helping me with anxiety, or picking me up when I feel physically and emotionally. Words cannot describe the gratitude I do carry, even if I don't always show it, and for that I am sorry. I don't always express my gratefulness verbally, but I want you all to know and understand that it's something I think of so often. I've had a lot of self confidence issues growing up, simply because I was always intimidated by others and their great talents. I feel utterly lucky that I've come across a lot of people who have uplifted to make me feel like that I was enough and that I had the ability to overcome these obstacles and succeed. These are just a few select stories that I am going to share.

When I was in eleventh grade, I had soccer tryouts for the Varsity Soccer team. I had always been a decent athlete, but I definitely was never the best soccer player. I guess you could say I was a bit of the underdog. I had never been more nervous for a tryout in my life. Middle School soccer had no cuts, and I was decent enough for Junior Varsity, but Varsity was a pretty elite level. I had little confidence and I think my coach and one of my teammates had noticed and probably gave me the best pep talk of my life. They picked me up before I could even defeat myself. I made the team, and yes I did cry. I can't thank my coach for everything he has done for me and all that he taught in my middle school years, and high school years, not only about soccer, but also about being a strong person, and having this resilience and drive about yourself. My varsity soccer captain was a person that I never thought I would grow close to, but she really helped me a lot more than I could ever imagine, and I'm thankful I got to meet her, and spend my junior and senior year by her side.

Another story was the opening night of Little Shop of Horrors when I was in tenth grade. Again, of course I was super excited, but once the curtain opened I was overcome with slight horror. I had a moment where I just couldn't do this, and that there was no way I was going to get on that stage and sing my brains out. I am not sure if my Director noticed this horror on my face, but he did take me aside and spoke these beautiful, encouraging words, "Shana, you were born to do this, and I cannot wait for you to show the audience what you are made of. Do what you love, and don't forget what this moment feels like." That truly stuck with me. He said those exact words to me every single show after that. I think he knew that I needed those words as a reminder that I am doing the right thing after all.

My last teacher is about my music teacher. I met him when I was in general chorus, and of course being who I am, I was a bit of a teacher's pet. He encouraged me to try out for the musical, and I guess I got a bit too hyped up for it and thought I would get in. Well, I didn't. It's decently competitive to get into the musical, but it really discouraged me immensely. My music teacher really helped me develop that confidence in my singing I was once had, and reminded me that I will have my chance, as long as I work hard enough. He helped me improve my voice so much, and luckily enough I got into the next three musicals we had. I was lucky enough to be ensemble in 10th grade, a Kit Kat Girl in 11th grade, and Brooke Wyndham in 12th grade. I had the chance to also be in All County Chorus twice and scored a 99 on my All State NYSSMA audition. I can honestly say I owe it to my music teacher and I cannot thank him for his constant encouragement. He's also done so much more for me, he's taught me how to be a more humble, patient, and kind person as well. He knows me well enough to know when I'm not in a good place, and it's always comforting that I confide in him and that he's in my corner on my side.

These are just a fraction of the amount of stories I could share of people who have provided constant love and encouragement for me. You all know you are, and I thank you a million times and more. I hope I have repaid you with at least one kind act in return, and if I haven't this is my letter to you.