AU: Thank You For Being My Family, Thank You For Being My Home

It's been 4 amazing years Ashland, I'll miss you!

860
Ashland University

I still remember walking into Amstutz in August 2013. An early start through the Pathways program where I made some amazing friends and had my first college mentor: Jonathan Locust. John, thank you so much for helping me through my first year here. It was so wonderful being able to just go to you when I just felt frustrated and needed to vent. I feel so grateful for the friendships I made through Pathways/Diversity On Campus (now Black Student Alliance). Patrick, Taylor, Kailah, Fatima, Diana, Daina, Darion, and Ben. You have all left a mark in my life and I am so grateful you were the first people I met at AU. Thank you for starting me out on my path here and for letting me help others start their own paths at AU.

I still remember trying to cram all my things into a tiny room where I was to live with a girl I only knew through text. I remember finding out my freshman year roomie and I was so alike that even our prom dresses were the same color. Thank you, Allie, for being my first roomie and one of my first friends. Thank you for being the first to open up your home to me on breaks I couldn't go back home. Thank you to your family for being my family too. Who would've thought that 4 years later I'd be staying after graduation to come to your wedding? I still remember late night talks about nothing and everything. Movies and pizza, curling your hair, and you picking on me for compulsively cleaning the room. 4 years later you're still a part of my AU story, and I'll always be grateful to have you in my life.

Logan and Hannah, y'all have been there from the start as well and I am so happy you are part of my life! I still remember Logan asking to sit with me and Allie at Convo. I remember the four of us chilling on the first-floor lobby of Stutz watching movies and laughing. I am so happy to have my little fiery redhead theatre major. Thank you for all the venting session, Starbucks trips, and for also opening your home up to me and sharing your lovely family with me. I'll always be your hair stylist and #1 fan. Han, thanks for all the help moving out, all the movie trips (especially the obligatory "its finals but Marvel has a movie coming out!" ones). Thank you for dinner dates, trips to the mall, sharing my taste in music, and always knowing how to make me laugh. Thank you, girls for sticking it out with me. You are a blessing and I'll miss you so much!

.

Danny! We finally got a picture to prove our friendship, but what an amazing 3 years it's been. Thank you for all the fun trips and the not too fun 3 am trips to the airport. Thank you for carrying my stupid fridge up and down stairs. Thank you for 3 years of lunch dates. Thank you for being my designated driver because I have no license. Thank you for being my best friend, my counselor, and for teaching me the importance of being rational. Thanks for listening to the weird things I say and for having all these deep and not-so-deep conversations. I feel beyond blessed to have you in my life. You'll have to come see me in Ireland! And I'll start saving up to come to Maryland for your grad school graduation. You are awesome and I'm going to miss you so much!

My trainwreck girl! How I'll miss you shouting "Murry!" from the other side of campus or out your dorm window! My Catholic babes. Pat, you have been my fake mommy. You have no idea how much it meant to me that you and Rachael showed up to my concerts for support. Thank you for making me an honorary German through your family. Thank you for teaching me kindness and love. Thanks for the milkshake dates and the laughs and sillyness. We'll always have Marcel the Seashell and Stuck In The Closet as our inside jokes. Thank you both for sharing your love and your families with me. I'll miss running around campus singing Catholic hymns at the top of our lungs. Mack/Macklemore! I'll miss just seeing you in choir every week. I'll miss your sass and your teacher voice. But you will always be my Apostolic Trainwreck girls; my Macklemore, my Patty McPatPat, and my Raquel.

Emily and Tasha, where do I even start? You guys are so weird and I love you for it. We got up to lots of mischief all in the name of justice. Thank you for leading A.S.H. with me, for putting up with my weird jokes and out there ideas, for being some of the best friends a girl could ask for. I'll miss all our sass in classes, random shannanegins, and writing down the weird things we said because they'll make great lines in my stories someday. You are my bosom sisters! I have no idea how I'm supposed to survive without you so get your butts to Europe soon! Thank you for standing with me, for not thinking I'm too passionate, and for letting me be the loud mess I am. Also, who am I supposed to accidentally match with now?! Y'all are making this difficult for me!

My lovely senior year RA, Kristin! What a real pleasure it's been knowing you. You are such a beautiful person inside and out. I'll miss our dinner dates and our long chats about life, and God, and our expectations. I have learned so much from you and I think you are so intelligent and strong and have no doubt that so many amazing things await you. Thank you for always checking up on me, for being such a lovely friend, and for always being there when I needed some guidance. I'm going to miss you so much but I can't wait to hear what new adventures await you in PT school.

My international babies! Martina, Dana, Layla, Miki, and Phil. I am sooooo sad I didn't get to know you guys sooner. I've loved having you in my life. I love that we've been able to share our cultures and bond over not always understanding Americans. Martina, you were my partner in crime for our documentary and I am so grateful that we got so close through that project. You are so amazing and I loved having someone I could rant in Spanish with. Dana, you are my little baby! I'm going to miss you soooo much! We are so similar that it's crazy we come from such different places. Thank you for sharing your culture and faith with me. You are one of the sweetest people I know and I adore you. Layla, my champion of feminism. You have no idea how much I admire you. I love being able to just have these long, deep conversations with you. You are such a strong, beautiful, amazing woman. Miki! You are the cutest ever! Thank you for sharing your joy and friendship with me. You have a way of lighting up any room you walk into. Stay bright always! And then there's my dearest German, Phil. I am so glad I got to visit you in Germany. It's kind of awesome I found someone with as odd a humor as me (even if I have to keep asking you if you're serious or not because we are waaaay too sarcastic).

My newest friends: Julia and Jake. I kinda hate you guys for coming into my life but I am so happy to have met you! Julia, a massive challenge awaits you for the next four years, but I know you can face it. I'm so happy to know that you'll be here fighting for the good after I'm off. You are so funny and amazing and worthy. I am looking forward to all that'll come your way in your 4 years here at AU. You are awesome, girl! Jake, you are a gorgeous person inside and out. You have so much light and love inside you. Thank you for being so open with me and just letting me be a part of your life. I am beyond thankful to have met you. Stay flawless and fierce, babe. You got this!

And, lastly, thank you AU. Thank you for blessing me with these wonderful friends. Thank you for Bixler, my home for the past 4 years. Thank you for the amazing professors I had. Thank you for all I learned and grew at the Center for Nonviolence. Thank you for helping me grow and learn how to think for myself and stand up for what's right. Thank you for being home in a far away country and for giving me a family in a sea of strangers. Thank you for the last 4 years - they've had ups and downs but the best memories will stay with me all my life. Thank you for 4 amazing years Ashland, I'll miss you!