Thank You For Being My Dad

Thank You For Being My Dad

...and not my father.

115
Thank You For Being My Dad
Parentcue.com

I’ve not once in my life called my dad, “Father”. The reason behind this is very simple and you’ve most likely heard it before: “Any man can be a father but it takes someone very special to be a dad.” The difference is easy to spot but hard to recognize if you’ve never been taught what to look for. A father is someone who believes that by donating his sperm for your creation, he has done his duty in life; while a dad cherishes every essence of your being from the second you are born. A dad is someone who gets up every day and does whatever he can to put a roof over your head, clothes on your back, and food on your table. He might have to dig ditches, flip hamburgers, deliver pizzas, work in a factory — or all of the above. He might not own a suit and tie, but he teaches the value of hard work, not because he’s looking for help mowing the lawn, but because he knows idleness leads to trouble. He realizes his job is to make his children happy, loving, determined, and productive citizens, and to do that, he can’t always be his child’s friend.

Even though a dad can’t always be a friend, that doesn’t mean he isn’t always there for his children. He watches and actively participates in his children's lives. A dad helps them grow up, raise them, nurture them; he attends dance recitals and soccer games and is present in his child’s life. And if he can’t be there because of work or the other children, he is thinking of his kid and sending good thoughts and prayers their way, always.

I know every child thinks the world of their dad and so do I, but my dad isn’t a world leader or a famous doctor, a war hero or a sports figure. He is no business tycoon, and you’ll probably never see his name in the financial pages. But to me and my siblings, he is one of the greatest men to ever live. He gave up his culinary career to make sure he was home with us when we were growing up. Soon after that, he gave up his season tickets to the New York Giants so he could watch us kids play sports on Sunday instead of his Blue Men. He has given up so much more I couldn't even begin to tell you it all. So to my wonderful dad, thank you for everything that you have done to help me grow these past 19 years. As much as it gets under my skin for you to be right, you truly know what is best for me and have helped me to become the God-fearing woman I am today. All the late night talks on the deck; teaching me how to make the best food in the world (actually you know I don’t cook, so thanks for letting me watch you make the best food in the world), and the countless hours you’ve spent being my biggest fan on and off the field and court. These are just a few of our great memories and things that I will cherish forever. I am beyond grateful that I have a dad that I can go to for anything and you’ll be there to help me through it.

So thank you for being my dad and not my father. Thank you for teaching me how to get myself out of trouble and not just doing it for me. Thank you for loving my mom like it’s the first time you’ve met her every day and creating the amazing family I am lucky enough to be a part of. And thank you for being my biggest hero, even though you don’t wear a cape. I love you forever. Happy Dad’s Day!