Dear Body, Thank You

Dear Body, Thank You

I truly don't appreciate you enough

216
Dear Body, Thank You

Dear Body,

I am writing this letter to you because I feel that I haven't given you the credit you deserve. You're worth more than I've realized, and I've taken you for granted. Thank you for everything you've given me. I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for you.

To my feet, thank you for taking me places that I've never been to before.

Thank you for the walks to class, supporting me through my exercise and yoga practice, and for keeping me upright. I wouldn't have been able to get through treks without your strength. Each step is one towards something new. You remind me that life may make me want to take steps back, but to always continue walking forward.

To my hands, thank you for aiding me in expressing feelings.

I can wave to friends, tell a story, count; the possibilities are endless. You allow me to feel the warmth of others through holding hands. They're constantly giving and receiving. It's a replication of what goes around, comes around.

To my mouth, thank you for communication.

Without my voice, I wouldn't be able to say what I want to say. I feel powerful whenever I'm able to participate in conversation, debate, or share an opinion. I feel that I can make an impact by being able to have my words come across through sound.

To my lungs, thank you for the constant air supply.

If I weren't breathing, I wouldn't be alive. Every breath is an opportunity to let go of what isn't serving me, and to replace it with something that has potential. I wouldn't be able to feel like a fire-breathing dragon in the winter or get through times of physical or mental stress without your help.

To my eyes, thank you for letting me see the beauty in the little things.

Colors are vivid, light is soft, and darkness is intense. I'm fortunate to see the seasons change, what other people look like, and how other people's stories unfold. Recently I received roses, and I will never forget how vibrantly red they were; or how blue the sky can be.

To my ears, thank you for allowing me to listen.

Listen to the wind, music, or another person's voice. Without my ears, I wouldn't have access to the outside world. I wouldn't be able to register what is being conveyed out in the world. I wouldn't be able to interpret it. They always are good teachers; listen before you speak.

To my stomach, thank you for nourishing me.

I'm like a car: whenever my fuel reserves are low, I cannot function properly. You help me enjoy foods, whether healthy or unhealthy. I wouldn't know the feeling of hunger or fullness without you. You help me feel grateful that I have a constant supply of foods or water. Although I do not treat you well and consider you my worst insecurity, you truly are a well-oiled machine.

To my heart, thank you for pumping blood.

Blood helps with circulation to my muscles and organs. It also gives me oxygen and proper nourishment. Without your assistance, I wouldn't know what it feels like when I look at the person that I love, get through a panic attack, or deal with possible dangers. There are ups and downs in life, and our heart rate is a reflection of that. Despite what happens, you never cease to bring to the forefront that's all about how you handle a situation.

To my brain, thank you for being the control center.

You work so hard to make sure everything is operating as it should, but you allow my personality to shine through emotions and thought processes. You make me want to learn something new each and every day. You surprise me by how much you've changed throughout the years, but some things are exactly the same.

To my skin, thank you for giving me an outer coating; a source of protection from pathogens.

You allow my soul to have clothing; a place for my spirit to rest and reside. Touch has provided me with many experiences, both good and bad. I'm left in awe of how fast you repair yourself when I accidentally get a paper cut or a bruise.

I truly take being alive for granted. There's so much to attain from the little things, including my shell that is my body. I need to be proud of it because it has gotten me through so much. It's also capable of doing anything that I set my mind to. I need to take advantage of this fact more often.

Body: thank you for everything.