'Thank U, Next' Made Me Thankful For My Ex
relationships

Who else is thankful for their ex?

94

I saw memes about Thank u, Next before I heard of the music video, but when I heard there was a music video, I refrained from watching it because I knew I would be roped into the craze. I wanted to see how long I could go without watching it but exactly one day after the release, I went to my friend's house where a group of us watched this iconic music video.

media0.giphy.com

You know that feeling when you are so mindblown that you're at a loss for words? That was me when I was watching the video, making excited shrills with each thing I noticed.

media2.giphy.com

I basically grew up listening to Ariana Grande and watching her on TV. Ever since she acted on 'Victorious' she became one of my favorite celebrities. The first Ariana Grande song I ever listened to was "Problem" and my 13-year-old self had that song on repeat for weeks. My sister and I huddled around the TV to watch "Victorious" or "Sam and Cat" almost every day when we got home from school and that was the start of my admiration for Ariana.

media0.giphy.com

THE SONG

media2.giphy.com

Right now, 'Thank U, Next' is trending. But why? What's so great about it?

The song itself is pretty good. It's a tune I personally cannot get out of my head. But upon looking into the lyrics, I think there's a deeper meaning to the entire song. I think everyone can agree that Ariana has been through hell and back. She broke off an engagement with Pete, Mac Miller died, and probably more personal things that she doesn't make public. Obviously, this entire song is about her being thankful for her exes because she grew from those relationships. And she's okay with going through many more because she will find the person she is supposed to be with. She is only getting married once and she's going to make it last. Until she finds the man she is supposed to be with, she isn't searching for him because she is spending time with herself, loving herself and growing from her pain every day. Ariana is an independent (dangerous) woman and she's only going up from here. What could be the deeper meaning?

media2.giphy.com

I suppose it isn't a "deeper meaning" that the song has but rather a subliminal message. Of course, there are tons of sayings about growing from pain but Ariana is posing as a role model in that field. She is proposing a new way of thinking about breakups and if Ariana can be independent and not let a few boys keep her down, you can too.

media2.giphy.com

THE MUSIC VIDEO

media2.giphy.com

When I first watched the music video I knew that there are references to "Mean Girls" but that is all I knew. But when I watched the whole thing, I knew Ariana had just won the music video game.

media3.giphy.com

So, what makes the music video so great? Where do I begin? Ariana references four iconic teen movies in the video. Recreating scenes from "Mean Girls", "Bring It On", "13 Going on 30", and "Legally Blonde". Honestly, if anyone else tried to do this, I think they would just mess the whole thing up, but Ariana (and the production crew, of course) made it the most amazing music video I have ever seen.

media2.giphy.com

Not only did she reference these movies but she had, what I'm going to call, guest celebrities in the video. During the intro, you see Aaron Samuels who is the original Aaron Samuels in "Mean Girls". Then you see Kris Jenner who plays Ariana's mother in the video. Jeniffer Coolidge even appears in a "Legally Blonde" scene, and did you catch the mini "Victorious" reunion with Elizabeth Gillies (Jade), Matt Bennett (Robbie), and Daniela Monet (Trina)? Not to mention Colleen Ballinger who plays the pregnant cheerleader. How Ariana got all of these people and the rights to recreate these scenes, I will never know but she nailed it. One of my favorite recreated scenes is the iconic bend and snap at the salon.

media0.giphy.com

THE PRODUCTION AS A WHOLE

media0.giphy.com

The song sends a good message and the music video is the best music video I have ever seen. The aura of the song, the meaning, the reaction, and the music video make it as great as it is. Whoever's brilliant mind came up with the idea deserves a million awards. Ariana may have been through hell and back but she rises above her misfortunes and turns them into amazing music. The fact that she can be strong and encourage others to be strong through her music is what makes everything about Ariana amazing.

If you haven't seen the music video yet, click here!