A Thank You Letter To The Teacher Who Changed My Life

"A teacher takes a hand, opens a mind, and touches a heart."

3092
Natalie Malan

Teachers are the individuals who are willing to help us learn. They are the ones who help us tackle the fundamentals of math, history, reading, new languages and more. They help us progress along our path of education.

However, the truly incredible teachers are the ones who teach us things both inside and outside of the classroom. They enlighten us not only about education but about ourselves as well. With their guidance, we are able to advance upon our search of wisdom and importance within the world around us.

Dear Mrs. Joyce,

I came to you in sixth grade as an extremely awkward and nervous 12-year-old. Middle school was going to be a completely new adventure, and I had no clue what to expect. I was lacking self-confidence and I was frightened by change. But with your guidance, I started to see that change wasn't always a bad thing. You helped me to grow not only as a student but as a person as well. I have many, many things to thank you for, including the following:

Thank you for always believing in me, even when I didn't believe in myself.

Whether I thought I was incapable of conquering an assignment, or that I was incapable of opening my locker, you always encouraged me to keep trying. You never once told me to give up. Instead, you stood by my side until I succeeded. And because of that, I have learned to try my hardest no matter what life throws my way.

Thank you for always being a shoulder for me to lean on.

Middle school, at times, was one of the hardest experiences for me, especially when I developed a pattern of disordered eating. Even after sixth grade, you always took time out of your busy day to stop and catch up. Whether we chatted in between passings or after school, you were always there for me. I knew that I could come to you whenever something was wrong. When I advanced to high school and even in college, I know I can reach out to you for anything at all.

Thank you for giving the best advice.

Especially on the worst days, you always knew how to help me cheer up and deal with whatever was bothering me. Whether it was typical middle school drama or an issue of me knocking myself down, you always knew how to pick me back up and steer me in the right direction.

Thank you for making me laugh.

I think everyone knows by now that my absolute thing in the world is the gift of laughter. You taught me the importance of being efficient and attentive toward work ethic, but also never forgetting to have fun along the way. You made me genuinely enjoy learning.

Thank you foralways letting me stop by your classroom.

Your classroom basically became a home away from home for me. I knew I could always stop by, whether I needed advice on an assignment, we were catching up over breakfast (or birthday cake), or I just wanted to stop by and say hi. You always made time for me and made me feel important, and I am forever grateful for that.

Thank you for supporting me in both curricular and extracurricular activities.

Whether I was writing 8500-page papers or performing in a voice recital, you always cheered me on, no matter how big or small the event was. You were my number one supporter. Flash forward to high school and you still came to support me, including watching field hockey games. You let me open up my mind to see that I could do whatever it was I set my mind to.

Thank you for being one of my biggest role models.

You are by far the most caring, genuine, and passionate teacher I have ever been lucky enough to have. You have gotten me through some of the toughest times in my life and I don't think I'll ever be able to fully express my gratitude in words. You have truly helped shape me into the young woman that I am today. I looked up to you in middle school and still do today. I would be lucky to become even half of the amazing individual that you are.

Thank you for being my friend.

As time went on, you never stopped believing in me and who I had the potential to become. I am so beyond grateful to have had such an amazing teacher who has now also become a friend. It's crazy to think that I first met you when I was 12 and now here I am today, 20 years old. Thank you for all that you have done and all that you do.Teachers like you truly do touch our hearts and help us reach for the stars.

Sincerely,

A forever grateful student