The Terror In Las Vegas Is The Wake-Up Call America Needs

Let this be our last lesson.

104

The terror that happened in Las Vegas is inexcusable. It's the work of a demonic, terrible, disgusting excuse of a human being. I'm not going to sit here and speculate what the police should have done because I am completely positive that they did everything in their power to protect the innocent and find the terrorist. That's right, I called him a terrorist. Because he is. The man, who will go unnamed because he doesn't even deserve to be called by name, is a domestic terrorist. I'm calling that one out right now. There are going to be people that label him mentally ill, which I'm sure he was. However, mental illness doesn't make someone less of a terrorist. It makes them a mentally ill terrorist. America, this act of domestic terrorism is our wakeup call. It's our wakeup call for many, many reasons, and not all reasons that one would think.

Get comfortable defending yourself.

Running and hiding isn't always a viable option. I know the attack on Las Vegas couldn't have been stopped by a single person with a handgun. Before the delusional people on the left accuse me of thinking that, I'm putting that theory to rest right now. However, this attack should be a wake-up call for all of us. It should be a wakeup call for all of us that is comfortable and with the proper training, we should all know how to use and defend ourselves if need be. I'm the most guilty, I'm an owner of 9mm High Point (a little cheap, I know) and I'm really not comfortable carrying it. I urge everyone, especially women, to go out and learn how to use a weapon. Learn how to use it for self-defense. Learn how to use it to defend your children or your spouse. Learn how to defend your home, and get comfortable with it. The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun (or a knife, or a bat, for that matter) is a good guy with a gun.

The need for gun control is real, but that doesn't mean fewer guns.

I live in Rhode Island, which is considered to be one of the most left-leaning states with gun control. It takes one week and a clean background check to purchase a rifle, and one week with a clean background check along with a blue card, or 'pistol permit' to purchase a handgun. Yes, it's that simple. It's even more simple in other states. I personally believe that every mentally sound and healthy person should at least own a handgun, even if they aren't comfortable carrying it. Even as a right-leaning, gun touting second amendment supporter, I will admit that we have a gun control problem. Congress, this is your hour. This is your time to pass laws that include mental health screenings for those of us that want to purchase guns. I am 100% fine with and in support of mental health screenings. Not only do we need more mental health checks for gun owners, but we need drug tests. I'm sorry, but I can't get behind allowing someone who potentially has hallucinogens or other drugs to own a firearm.

We have a human problem, not a gun problem.

To expand upon my last statement, we have a clear mental health problem in our country. The vetting process would handle much of our gun control issue, it's true. However, there are always going to be a few people that slip through those cracks. In the industry I'm in, we're trained hard and heavy to look for potential warning signs in our coworkers. They call it 'risky behavior'. Some of these behaviors can include excessive gambling, drinking, absenteeism and things such as that. Work isn't the only place we need to be looking for these warning signs. We should be watching for them in our family and friends. The person who committed this heinous crime was an avid gambler, drinker and would generally keep to himself according to statements made by multiple media outlets. That isn't to say that anyone who drinks, gambles or keeps to themselves is going to be a terrorist. It's when all of those factors and then some add up and become a problem that there is an intervention to be made.

America, this is our wakeup call. Stop worrying about football players taking a knee. Stop worrying about when the president is playing golf, or if your team is getting suspended. I get that all of those things are important. I really, really do. But right now, we need to focus on taking care of our neighbors. We need to focus on learning how to defend ourselves, and our neighbors. Let's take care of our humanity problem before we worry about the petty, superficial problems that surround us.