Spooky Movies

10 Scary Movies To Get You In The Spooky Spirit

Spooky season is upon us.

129

Spooky season is upon us and what better way to help get yourself in the spirit than to watch some spooky movies? Here's a top ten list of the movies that'll definitely help boost that spirit.

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

"1, 2, Freddy's coming for you.." The ever chilling series following the haunting Freddy Krueger will be the one to keep you up and not want to fall asleep so Freddy doesn't come into your dreams and cause mayhem.

The entire series follows and revolves around the child killer Freddy Krueger who was burned alive by the vengeful parents of those child victims, and his return to terrorize teenagers in their dreams to seek his revenge.

Nancy, the 'final girl' introduces us to the story of Freddy and how he was murdered and how he'll intrude into the dreams and perform heinous acts on the teenagers, and eventually it becomes real life when he's risen from his grave and coming to kill the teens. The series is a lengthy one, rounding in at 9 movies, with the most recent being in 2010. So, if you're looking to binge watch, hope you got tons of snacks.

2. Psycho (1960)

No, this isn't the poorly done remake. This is the original Psycho with the story of Norman Bates, and the originality of the A&E show Bates Motel. Directed by famous Alfred Hitchcock, the story follows a secretary, Marion Crane who ends up at a very empty and abandoned motel after she had stole money from her employer.

She ends up staying the night in the motel during a heavy rainstorm where we meet the antagonist of the movie, Norman Bates, who invites her to share a dinner with him after she checks in. Politely, she accepts the offer and overhears an argument going on between Norman and his mother.

As Marion is in the shower, we are shown the infamous shower scene with the screeching music as someone with a knife rips open the curtain and kills Marion. (Spoiler, oops). The entire movie is in black and white, but if you're into the psychology side of horror movies, this one is definitely for you.

3. The Exorcist (1973)

The 1973 horror supernatural cultural phenomenon "The Exorcist," was adapted by writer William Peter Blatty from his 1971 novel by the same title.

The book, was inspired by the 1949 demonic possession of Roland Doe, a twelve year old girl and the attempt by her parents to free herself of the vicious demon with the help of two priests. The movie on the other hand, follows a girl named Regan who one night played with an Oujia board and contacts her imaginary friend "Captain Howdy."

From then, Regan starts acting differently, making strange noises, voice was rather deep and raspy, which frightened everyone. After visiting a doctor, the family is ordered to call a priest, who then is convinced that Regan is possessed. When he believes that her soul is in grave danger, he performs an exorcism. Through many violent acts performed by Regan, when it was actually Pazuzu.

The movie ends with Regan having no recollection of the possession, seeming like nothing ever happened to the little girl.

4. The Shining (1980)

"Heereeee's Johnny!" A novel originally written by Stephen King, the 1980 film adaptation follows the story of Jack Torrance played by Jack Nicholson, who is an aspiring writer and recovering alcoholic.

He accepts an off-season position as a caretaker of the Overlook Hotel hidden in the Colorado Rockies. Spending that winter with Jack are his wife Wendy Torrance, and younger son Danny Torrance, who seems to be a clinger to Jack, despite Jack even breaking Danny's arm. Once in the hotel, Danny somehow possesses this "shining" psychic ability that allows him to see the hotel's disturbing past, where the daily is advised to stay away from room 237.

After a nasty snow storm blows through, the Torrance family is left trapped inside of the hotel, driving everyone mad. Jack tries to continue his writing, which is leading him nowhere. The no writing, trapped in an isolated location, the hauntings occuring, drives Jack to drive himself to the point of insanity.

After dreaming of murdering his family, it's evident that there is nothing good about staying in this hotel, and the plan to get out needed to happen as soon as possible. In the end, viewers are exposed to a chilling photo of guests at the Overlook with Jack front and center, in front of some creepy music, that really leaves you a bit on edge. Definitely my favorite horror movie, so 10/10 would recommend.

5. Friday the 13th 

Written by Victor Miller and produced by Sean S. Cunningham, Friday the 13th is a horror franchise that consists of twelve movies, comic books, video games, etc. The movie series focuses on Jason Voorhees, who drowned as a young boy at Camp Crystal Lake due to the poor watch duty of the camp stuff. Years later, the lake where young Jason dies is rumored to be cursed, and basically was the setting for a series of mass murders. Jason rises from the 'dead', filled with anger and ready to take revenge on teenage kids who decide to stay at the camp for the summer. We learn that it is Pamela Voorhees, Jason's mother who is killing teenagers as they prep for reopen.

The franchise includes: Friday the 13th (1980), Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981), Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982), Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984), Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985), Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives (1986), Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood (1988), Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) **SPOILER, he really only goes to Manhattan for a brief moment**, Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993), Jason X (2001), Freddy v Jason (2003) **which spoiler, was announced ten years prior to this movie even coming out*****, Friday the 13th (2009 remake).

6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Consisting of eight films, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre came out in 1974, focusing on serial killer Leatherface (Who is actually inspired by Ed Gein) and his psychotic family who ultimately terrorize any visitors who happen to come to their isolated Texas town, which usually ends in them being killed and the family feasting on them in a cannibalistic manner. Leatherface makes his masks out of human skin, and his apron is usually blood soaked. This film does claim it is based upon true events, but, it's inspired by Ed Gein, who did similar actions, but acted alone and didn't use a chainsaw.

Movies in this series: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986), Leather Face; The Texas Chainsaw Massace III (1990), Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003 remake), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006), Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013), and Leatherface in 2017.

7. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

The 1991 American horror/thriller is adapted from Thomas Harris's 1988 novel. The film follows an FBI trainee, Clarice Starling, who seeks the advice of the infamous Dr. Hannibal Lecter, who was a psychiatrist, but is in prison for being a cannibalistic serial killer, who was comparable to Buffalo Bill, who skinned his female victims. Throughout this movie, viewers are exposed to the psychological effect that Hannibal has on Clarice and people that he has taken the lives of. Plot twist, this movie has nothing to do with lambs, sorry to break it to you.

8. It (2017)

An adaptation of the 1986 novel written by Stephen King, and the 1990 mini series, It focuses entirely on the Losers' Club fighting Pennywise the Dancing Clown as children themselves. There will be a part 2 coming out in September of 2019. The film opens with Bill and his little brother Georgie making a paper boat. Georgie takes the boat to the flooded streets and the boat floats down the stream into the sewer drain. Out pops Pennywise, who in this movie, is a much scarier looking clown than the Tim Curry adaptation. And *spoiler* Georgie dies when Pennywise bites his arm off. The rest of the movie follows Bill and his friends from school as they develop a plan of action to get Pennywise and get revenge for the clown/alien life-form killing Georgie. After a brutal battle in the sewer, the Losers' Club defeat Pennywise and they form a blood oath that if Pennywise were to ever resurface, they would kill him for good. I've seen this movie three times, and I'm a huge fan of it, not only because of the story, but because of the cast that makes the movie so much more interesting to watch. I'm anticipating part 2!

9. Poltergeist (1982)

"They're hereee!!" The classic 1982 American supernatural horror film is set in a California suburb, following a family who's house has also become a home to the supernatural and ghouls. What they don't realize, is that their home is actually built on top of an old cemetery, so to the ghosts, I would assume that they wouldn't be the most pleased with a house over their graves. At first the ghosts appear to be friendly and mean no harm, but they turn nasty and start to terrorize the family before 'kidnapping' the youngest, Carol Anne. Once Carol Anne is 'kidnapped' through a portal to the other side, her parents seek the help of an exorcist to rid the demons and get their daughter back. This movie is your classic 'haunted house' horror, sure to keep you on your toes and wondering on what will happen to poor Carol Anne.

10. Rosemary's Baby (1968)

A frightening movie based off the novel written by Ira Levin, Rosemary, and her husband Guy move into an old New York apartment building, where Rosemary starts to hear strange noises. Her husband is a struggling actor, who eventually will land a Broadway role and this woman named Minnie starts to show up at their apartment with chocolate mousse for Rosemary. Rosemary becomes pregnant after a nightmare of being raped by some sort of beast, she starts to believe her baby is 'not of this world'. She becomes increasingly isolated, and falls ill. The truth is revealed after Rosemary gives birth and her baby is basically snatched away from her. Viewers are never exposed to what the baby looks like, but the look on Rosemary's face and gives guests a good idea on what the newborn would've looked like.

These might not be the movies for you, but I definitely recommend you give them a try! They are some good sitting on the edge of your seat, biting your nails type of movies and sure to make you jump and spill your popcorn everywhere.