10 NFL Players To Watch This Season

10 NFL Players To Watch This Season

Here are ten NFL players to watch for this upcoming season.

23
10 NFL Players To Watch This Season
Fox Sports

NFL training camps are still a few weeks away, and with the conclusion of basketball and hockey, fans are clamoring for football more than ever. With that in mind, I put together a list of ten players in the NFL that I believe all football fans should keep an eye on. These players were selected on potential to contribute to the upcoming season that perhaps they were not able to in a previous season due to injury, team circumstances like coaching and depth chart or in some cases they are expected to continue their dominant level of play. So let's begin without further delay.

1. David Johnson

A third round draft pick of the Arizona Cardinals by way of Northern Iowa, no one believed Johnson would emerge to make an impact in his rookie year. He was buried on the depth chart behind established veterans Andre Ellington and a newly revitalized Chris Johnson but due to injuries to the former, he saw the field early in the season as a backup. Johnson was active for the whole season, and used his limited work to flash his tremendous talent.As a change-of-pace back, Johnson starred as a return specialist and receiving threat in a high-powered Cardinals offense.He finished the season with 36 receptions for 457 yards and four touchdowns, averaging a staggering 12.7 yards per reception.Upon gaining the faith of the coaching staff, Johnson went on to start the last few games of the season further demonstrating his underrated ability. His rookie season concluded with 125 rush attempts but garnered 581 yards and eight touchdowns for an average of 4.6 yards per carry. For comparison, Adrian Peterson averaged 4.5 yards per carry last season. Even though Johnson played spot minutes through the season and started the last third of the games, he still amassed 12 total touchdowns and emerged as one of the most electric running backs in the NFC. This season, Johnson will have the starting role from the beginning of the season and will be looking to leave his mark, emerging as a premier running back in the league.

2. Tyler Lockett

Small in stature with big-play ability, Lockett was drafted by the Seahawks to add a dynamic receiver who can take the top off of the defense. The knock on Lockett was the slim physique he has, as he stands at just 5-10 and 180 lbs, which could give him problems in press coverage. However, Lockett has demonstrated that with more seasoning he has the crisp route running and cunning to use his speed and size to slink and slice through opposing defenses. Previously playing behind Jermaine Kearse on the depth chart, Lockett is fully primed to assume the starting role opposite Doug Baldwin this season. With no Marshawn Lynch, the run game has some question marks surrounding it, which may cause the Seahawks to lean on their star quarterback Russell Wilson and the passing game more than they have in the past.After finishing his rookie season with a modest 51 receptions for 664 yards and six touchdowns, expect Lockett to have a breakout season.

3. Kevin White

The Bears rookie wide receiver never saw the playing field as surgery to repair stress fractures in his leg sidelined him for the length of the entire season. This has caused White to be an afterthought for many, but overlooking his potential impact on the upcoming season would be foolish. White was compared relentlessly with Amari Cooper as analysts tried to decide who was the best receiver prospect; some said White, some said Cooper. It was Cooper who heard his name called 4th, but White only had to wait until the 7th pick to be drafted. His measurable jump off the page as the new-age type of hybrid receiver that coaches salivate over.His combination of possession receiver size (6’3) and slot receiver speed (4.35 second 40-yard dash) makes him a threat on every play that demands a defense’s attention. With Alshon Jeffrey opposite of him, White could see a lot of single-coverage that gives him opportunity to explode onto the scene and to the forefront of the minds of analysts and football fans alike.

4. Marcus Peters

Character concerns stemming from incidents with his coaches as Washington caused Peters’ draft stock to plummet (some analysts believed even with the concerns he was a top-ten pick).His size (6ft, 197 lbs.) allowed him to play physically with bigger receivers and he demonstrated great instincts in coverage that promised to translate to the NFL. The Chiefs took the defensive back at 18 overall and have to be feeling very good about their decision. You could argue that Peters, as a rookie, was a top-ten cornerback in the league.He set the league ablaze, covering some of the best wide receivers in the NFL and dominating in the process. Peters amassed 60 total tackles, 26 deflections, a forced fumble and eight interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns.His production and value to his team’s defense in just his first NFL season bodes well for his future, and many expect him to take another leap forward this season, establishing himself as an elite corner.

5. Khalil Mack

Speaking of potentially elite defenders, Khalil Mack vaulted himself into the perennial Defensive Player of the Year conversation (if only J.J. Watt were willing to relinquish the award). Asked as a rookie to be a commanding leader on the defense, Mack answered the call as he totaled 76 tackles, three deflections and four sacks. Mack demonstrated good coverage skills and great instincts playing the run, but clearly needed to elevate his pass-rushing skills if he wanted to be a truly elite defender in the NFL.He matched his tackling production the following year, tallying 77 tackles and also recording two deflections.However, Mack trained to improve his pass-rushing ability leading to a career-high 15 sacks (five of which came against the Broncos in a single game). With Mack putting his nose to the grindstone to develop all aspects of his game, Khalil Mack could be a name that is repeatedly mentioned in the Defensive Player of the Year conversation in the future.

6. Ezekiel Elliott

While his speed is not elite (4.47 40-yard dash), Elliott has elite agility and vision when carrying the ball which allows him to better see the holes his offensive line gives him and exploit them.Elliott’s talent alone doesn’t help him to make my list of players to watch for this upcoming season. What really helps Elliott’s chances of having a great year as a rookie is what comes in front of him. The Dallas Cowboys have arguably the best offensive lines in the NFL, allowing the likes of Darren McFadden (with his glass ankles) and Joseph Randle to run capably behind them averaging 4.6 and 4.1 yards per carry respectively. With Romo back and presumably healthy, safeties will have to respect the passing game more than they had after he went down last year with his shoulder injury. This further adds to Elliott’s breakout potential and with an elite offensive line to run behind, I expect there to be plenty of space for him to carve up defenses.

7. Lamar Miller

Even though Miller is a veteran and what some believe to be a known-quantity in this league, his change of scenery from Miami to Houston helps him to make this list. The Dolphins failed to effectively utilize Miller, as the recently-fired offensive coordinator decided to ride his starting running back (who was averaging 4.1 YPC, and 5.1 the previous season) for only 194 attempts. Recall David Johnson, who only started five games, had 125 rush attempts.Miller, who started more than three times as many games only had 70 more attempts. Giving a talented running back like Miller only twelve carries a game while the passing game is struggling is unforgivable. His relocation to the Houston Texas should help him to be properly used. The offensive line led by Duane Brown is a talented and physical front, which had previously given Arian Foster so many running lanes that are now at Miller’s disposal. The addition of semi-talented quarterback Brock Osweiler and the receiving core of Deandre Hopkins, Will Fuller and Jaelen Strong will help to draw pressure and keep defenses from stacking the box. With a talented offensive line, rejuvenated passing game, and an offensive coordinator who is not afraid to pound the rock, Miller could end up having the best season of his career.

8. Aaron Donald

Donald makes this list because in only two NFL seasons he has established himself as a top three interior defender in the league. He has nearly matched the career arc of J.J. Watt, and Pro Football Focus graded him as a better defender than Watt this past season. Donald was first among all interior defenders in total quarterback pressures and defensive stops, while also ranking fifth best against the run. One of his two deflections was batted into his teammates arms leading to the interception.His impact on all aspects in the game and his ability to absolutely harass the quarterback could have him surpassing J.J. Watt for the title of best defender in the league very soon. His sack numbers were nine in his first season, and 11 in his second which is very impressive for a defender not coming off the edge (where players like Watt, Von Miller and Khalil Mack line up). If he continues to improve any more on the pass-rushing front then he should hold the number one spot for Defensive Player of the Year unless J.J. Watt finds some magic potion that could make him play better than he already has been.

9. Tyrann Mathieu

Mathieu was much like Marcus Peters in the sense that his draft stock was impacted by his character concerns. It’s been three seasons since the questions about his focus on football were brought to light, and looking back now they look silly. Mathieu has dedicated himself entirely to football and in three seasons he has emerged as one of the best young defensive backs in the league. This past season he recorded 89 tackles, a sack, 17 pass deflections, a forced fumble and five interceptions, one of which he returned for a 92-yard touchdown. His nose for the ball and great instincts earned him the nickname “Honey badger” in college and both translated to the NFL as he is a premier run-stopper and power-hitter. His versatility to play a traditional safety spot or line up in the slot to cover smaller, quicker receivers makes him incredibly valuable which is why the Cardinals are looking to sign him to a long term deal that could make him one of the highest paid safeties, and deservedly so.Watch for Mathieu to prove that he is worth the big money in this contract year.

10. Anthony Barr

Barr is a very under-the-radar player to watch outside of small circles who are familiar with the Vikings linebacker. He was drafted not because of his polish but because of his freakishly athletic ability that, paired with proper coaching in technique and coverage, could turn him into a top defender. Behind defensive guru Mike Zimmer’s guidance, Barr has begun to scratch the surface of his immense potential. He relies strongly on his athleticism to consistently make plays as evinced by his consistency in totaling 70 tackles in his first season and 68 in his second. His pass-rushing was also consistent, recording four sacks in his first season and 3.5 in his second. What he truly improved on was his coverage ability, as he managed to record seven pass deflections in only his second season. The production is not elite, but it is solid production that people believed Barr still could be seasons away from achieving. If he continues to listen to the coaches around him, Zimmer in particular, then he could flourish into one of the bright young linebackers in the NFL very quickly.